Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
H& R Block e-file thru IRS

Posted by choufleur (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 22, 05 at 11:33

Noticed this year H&R Block is offering free e-file to everyone through IRS. Just wondering what is their "hook" for offering this service to everyone for free. Have been using Taxslayer.com since 2001 for $9.95, so I see no reason to switch (other than free service) since tax data is stored in their database.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: H& R Block e-file thru IRS

I believe the IRS is offering free e-filing to everyone this year. There are several limiting requirements, however. Copied below from IRS website:

Free File Home - Your Link to Free Online Filing

Whoever said there is no such thing as a free lunch may have been right. But for millions of eligible taxpayers this year, there is Free File. Free File is online tax preparation and electronic filing through a partnership agreement between the IRS and the Free File Alliance, LLC. In other words, you can e-file... free.

o

In our area, there were two fees charged by most tax preparers until quite recently: one to prepare the return and an additional one to send it by E-file, which would provide a refund earlier.

Actually, for many, there were three - an additional fee if you used their offer of instant (i.e. next day) refund.

HTH.

joyful guy

o

There are several free e-file through the IRS that you may choose from. With HR Blocks' which I used through the Free file Alliancs for three yrs does offer to do state for a fee or if you wanted to get your money back quicker. We had it direct deposited and got our refund within 8-15 days and when and if you file with them the following year they can export the lasts years info for you. I like it very well and is much cheaper than going to an office near you...

o

As for the "hook", I suspect they think many people will go for their $19.95 state tax filing offer when they are done. I know I was thinking of it. But here in NJ, the state has their own online filing system you can do for free--so there's no reason to do give H&R Block the business.

This is my first year doing it online, and it wasn't bad. It's very nice not having to go out and make photocopies of my return, and buy stamps.

My only complaints were that each window loaded V E R Y slowly, and sometimes didn't load correctly. I kept getting pages where there was a link to click, but it wouldn't work because of an "error in page." I'd have to start over, load the page again, slowly, then hope the link worked next time. And it is not set up to work with Netscape or Mozilla. Not enough of a problem to stop me doing it again next year, however.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here