Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Credit Attorneys

Posted by jazi49 (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 21, 04 at 11:16

Does anyone have any experience with this type of "credit cleaning"? Is it real, or is it another scam? They supposedly review your credit report and remove derogatory items, quicker than the 7 year usual. For example, I had a credit card balance that was paid off about 2 years ago, and it was still listed as having a balance in June of this year!!! Is it better to just write to the CBs yourself? I was told that they can ignore your letters if they feel they are meritless.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Credit Attorneys

Hi jazi,

Check what Dave Donhof(?) told another person asking about credit, a thread right beside this one, initial message by someone name of Kathy something.

He provides some links to help you check out your credit yourself.

I'm not sure just what channel you use to get a report free, but I think that you can ask them for repair without charge (though how you know what may need repair, I'm not sure.

You can get a free report if you have been turned down for credit by some credit-granting agency.

HTH.

joyful guy

o
RE: Credit Attorneys

Well...there are two ways to answer your question.

Are there agencies (some of which actually have an attorney that works there) that clean up your credit.

They CAN do it by trying to manipulate the credit laws...i.e. sending may validation requests, etc and then if the creditor doesn't respond in time, insisting that they will sue them if they don't remove the line altogether.

The other way is simply hiring someone to act as your agent...they essentially do all the same stuff you can do on your own. The advantage to this is they can negotiate on yoru behalf...and they have no emotional attachment to the problem. We did this route about 5 years ago....didn't pay all that much, but it completely took the weight off our shoulders.

That being said, we HAD the money to pay the accounts off...so the attorney simply negotiated that in exchange for full payment, the creditor would completely removed the account OR resubmit to the agencies as Paid As Agreed.

Now, the problem with this is that you need to have the money in lump sum to PAY them when the attorney negotiates the deal for you.

There ARE other things you can do, but to do so, you must become knowlegeable about the whole credit game...this usually takes someone about 2 months or so of study.

Go here to start...there are some boards where you can ask questions, but read the Primer and FAQ to begin....

http://consumers.creditnet.com/straighttalk/board/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=3

Good luck...hope this helps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here