SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chelone_gw

Botched retirement account

chelone
17 years ago

I have a SEP IRA at work, with a 3% employer match. I've been diligently directing a percentage of my paycheck to it for the 4 years it's been available to me.

Recently, it was noted that the 3% contributed was not on my gross earnings, but on the percentage I had contributed to my account. Additionally, when my bonus checks were directed to my account the pay receipt indicated they'd witheld payroll taxes, so the amount contributed was the net pay. I questioned them about that as this is a PRE-tax plan. I received a lame answer, but didn't challenge them as I had much on my plate with respect to my elderly mother and caregiving duties. (I know, I know)

Questions: the monies owed me from my employer have been repaid. But the foregone interest has not. What would you do? request a complete audit of the account, go to the payroll service that screwed it up (it was sold this past summer to new people) and request payment of the interest, too? I spoke with our planner (who does not oversee this account) the other day and he told me payroll services carry insurance for this sort of thing. But I'm not quite sure where to begin the process or if I even ought to. In the big picture, this isn't huge money, OTOH, it is money I am owed and missing through essentially no fault of my own. What do you think?

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville
More Discussions