SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sweets98

The percentage of montly income for rent/mortgage ?

sweets98
17 years ago

I know at some point I have heard the ideal percentages of your monthly income you should spend toward your bills but I cannot find it. Can anyone help?

DH and I are trying to figure out if we're doing something wrong here. We have been together for almost 9 years. He was in debt when I met him but we're talking no more than $6000. That's not a lot but it was for us for a long time! We are a family of four now with one income. DH doesn't make a lot but he makes double what we started with and we're doing MUCH better. The debt is now paid down to just under $2,000. Much of that we just started to pay in the last year or so because before that we couldn't even consider it. We are so proud at how far we have come!

The plan for us is to pay off the debt and start building up a better credit history. In two years, our DD will start school and at that time, I'm going to go to a two year business school in the area and then get a job (they have a 96% placement rating). So in the next 5 years, we would like to be thinking about a home of our own. Right now we live on my father's land in a trailer that he and my mother put here 17 years ago. We pay for all upkeep and expenses and plan to stay here (Dad wants us to and we'll make the arrangements to buy the land then)...just replace the trailer with a modular or small ranch in the back yard.

DH's brother and SIL have been together for about 3 years longer than us. They have two kids, too. BIL makes only about $3000 more year than DH. They just filed bankrupcty a little over a year ago. They have credit cards, a truck loan (it was used but it's still a loan)that they just purchased in about August and they will be signing on their home this Friday.

DH and I can't help but think we're doing something wrong because they have far more expenses than us and even manage to buy things that we can't imagine getting! We have a lot of hand-me-downs in our home. We own our two vehicles. We have the cheapest utilities we can have. At this point we couldn't even think about the $300 truck loan let alone a $1000/month mortgage! To us it seems like we're getting the shaft! DH can't get a credit card unless it's secured because he only has bad credit history and it's been some time since he's had any history because we didn't want to make it worse! Meanwhile they're getting all this stuff and filed bankruptcy! I can't help but think we should have filed when we were first together because by now, that would be off our record! Now maybe they are putting themselves back in debt for all we know, but we just can't understand it! What are we doing wrong?

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Traditional Hardwood Floors LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Your Industry Leading Flooring Refinishers & Installers in Columbus
More Discussions