Return to the Household Finances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Swing Trade? Day Trade?

Posted by Sailfish (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 10, 05 at 8:48

Whats the difference between Swing Trading and Day Trading? Or are they the same? Whats the line in time that seperates Long term and Short Term trades?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Swing Trade? Day Trade?

Never heard of swing trading. My guess it is some sort of chart-based trading strategy. Day-traders normally close out all of their positions by end of day. For tax purposes Long-term is a one year holding period, anything less is short-term.

o

Late with my response but if you are still around...

Daytrading means buying and selling the same market day. Daytraders typically use 1, 3, 5, 10 or 15 minute charts. I use 5 minute bars.

Swing trading is typically done on daily charts. You may hold for several days, weeks or months. All depends on what the market gives you.

Position trading is based on weekly charts. This form of trading is closet to investing because the in/out trades tend to be weeks/months or even years apart, again depending on the market.

If you want to learn to trade, please post and I will post ways you can get started.

o

I would not recommend either. Id read the intelligent investor by benjamin graham. Be an investor not a speculator.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Household Finances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here