SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
breenthumb

Executrix, paying all bills of deceased. HELP! Please.

breenthumb
16 years ago

DH's sister died in December. He's the only living relative, he and I are the only named beneficiaries and I'm executrix.

She had lived with their mom and inherited their relatively new home. It needs lots of decluttering, paint and carpeting (pet damage)before we can even think of selling but is in good shape otherwise.

My problem: all income into her estate has stopped, of course. But the outgo/expenses continue. Paid auto insurance to get leased vehicle turned in to dealer, gas & electric, water bill not to mention funeral expenses.

Finally got the papers from lawyer to set up estate acct. but there is barely enough to pay funeral, much less ongoing expenses. So in reality, I'm paying taxes and utilities for two homes, and hefty taxes due on her place in Feb.--just paid mine. How do people do this?

Also need to contact Benefits Dept. where she worked but according to that companies credit union (which is where her accts. were) that's another nightmare that moves slowly--forms, and more forms just to get info.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this always a nightmare? We're retired so drawing on our savings. Thanks for any help. Sandy

Comments (35)

Sponsored
More Discussions