Return to the Fiber & Needle Arts Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WANTED: help!

Posted by xeven (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 28, 05 at 6:35

i am a man that has difficulty finding stylish business suits that fit the way that i like within my budget. i am entertaining thoughts of learning to make my own. but there is no info on the web related to this undertaking. should this tell me something? also, and with all due respect to the sewing community, most of the women that i see who make their own clothing dress like old librarians. is it possible to learn to make hip, stylish clothing?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: help!

I give you LOTS of credit just to even want to make a business suit on your own. My Mom was a Tailor and I sure do wish now that I would have been more attentive at that time. It takes a little more then the usual sewing, but nothing one can't learn. Mom would go to Tailor classes, always learning more. She was good at what she learned, her work showed it and people drive way out in the country where we lived for her sewing.

One thing I've learned to tell myself when sewing .... thats no matter what I make,...... They are only lines ! ..... always remember that. If you can sew a LINE, you can sew anything.

One other thing you may want to try with a worn out suit first is, rip it apart, see the makings of it, and go from there, you'd be surprised as to what you will learn from doing that one thing. Its an experince and good teacher.

If possible, do go to a good school its worth the time.

No, you don't have to look like a liabarian, or you shouldn't have to ..... that goes back to ..... they are only lines ..... Change that pattern to suit yourself. Try different things.
Have to share.... I have some of the things I make in a shop downtown, the owner makes the iron on T-shirts for the coustomer, she had a T-shirt that I wanted to send to my daughter, it had flowers on, a realy springy and cute type of pattern. I asked her if she could do one with that same pattern on only at the bottom of the biggest shirt she had, yes she could. I took that shirt home, got out the patterns in girls size 5. Had to do alittle changing, but the Grandaughter also got a sun dress to match Mom's T-shirt.

So you see, if you want, it'll be. Just go for it !

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fiber & Needle Arts Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here