Return to the Fiber & Needle Arts Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WANTED: what colors to use

Posted by snowball (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 10, 04 at 20:30

I like to make this afaghan called Najaho afghan it uses four colors of yarn. The basic pattern used red white grey and black I made that one color I think just once I've used all sorts of colors but I'm kinda stumped (I like to give them as wedding gifts to my neices and nephews) I have one getting married soon he likes blues she likes green what colors would you use????????? I once read that the indians when choosing colors for their blankets would look at nature and that usually works except for this one... I saw some tlc yarn that was a dark blue a dark sage claret (what a pretty color of red) and a light blue but I wasn't sure that it worked Any ideas?
Sheila

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: what colors to use

I found this at the link below:

"Color, like the actual scenes and pictures, also came to play a symbolic and powerful role in communicating Navaho tradition. The colors often portrayed inexplicable emotion that only the Navaho could comprehend. Green stood for youth, and represented nature and the power and energy that nature brought. It was the hue of promise, hope, growth, and life to come in the crops of the future. Yellow, orange, and blue represented maturity and more specifically, harvest time. This was a positive time for the Navaho, bringing them peace, happiness, and power. Commonly, the colors of brown and gray became popular in the weaving following a failure in the harvest, for these colors represented death and decay. White, in contrast, was viewed as a symbol of innocence and purity, often representing the first hours of a newborn plant or animal. Lastly, the most powerful color in the eyes of the Navaho is red. The Navahos love for red, according to James, was "Not a mere vagary, a whim, a fancy of the eye, barbaric taste n the wildly gorgeous, a flaunting of his inability to appreciate color, but a keen and grateful recognition of one of the greatest gifts of the gods to men"(p. 61). This "gift" that James is referring to is the sun. The sun was the Navaho way of life. It brought exhilaration, joy, and daily stimulation to the Navaho man. Colors, like the pictures, were a means of communication throughout many Navaho textiles. The difference however, is that they were more a means of keeping tradition alive in that only the Navaho would truly understand the significance and symbolism behind each one."

Hopefully this will help you choose,
Wendy

Here is a link that might be useful: U. of Arizona paper

o

Since he likes blue, and she likes green, why not combine them? Splash in a little orange for contrast and set it all off with a soft pale cream. Should be stunning...
Just my 2c...
Sharon

o

Use the blue maybe in 2 different shades, then add 2 different shades of green and now one each of white and black and alternate....White and the Black will bring it all together in a wonderful way....try a small swatch.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fiber & Needle Arts Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here