Return to the Fiber & Needle Arts Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WANTED: Startching crocheted items

Posted by moonbug (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 18, 05 at 10:07

Can any one help me ?
1st: I'm in need of startch that will let the item stay its color ( dry clear ). This is very important to me.
2nd: and also won't wilt and bent with humid weather.

I've tried Sta-Flo and that has turned the item blue, I know I don't have the right mixture, can anyone help me out with that?

I've also used ... TAC Porce A Like Porcelainizer and that turned the white (snow white) to an off yellow, antique white, not the color I wanted on a Christmas Angle ! I now have other things I would like to do and just don't know what to use.

Many THANKS for your help

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: Startching crocheted items

Have you tried Niagra Spray Starch? Not sure if it comes in any other form than the spray, my mother used it all the time and I have as well on occasion, have never noticed a color change with any items.
Hope that helps,
Katbird

o

Moonbug - Take a look at the link below - several products are described and whether or not they will yellow over time...

Here is a link that might be useful: Starching Techniques

o

The sugar syrup is the old method, and works just fine. You can rewash with that one. The Elmers glue and water will work fine for making ornaments and angels that you may never want to do over again. I have used both on things like baskets with handles and a crocheted swan basket...also a crocheted vase.

o

Thanks Millie for the info. I've never used the glue/water type, how does it go, how much glue, how much water ? Does the item get yellow? Sounds like something I'd like to try.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fiber & Needle Arts Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here