Return to the Exercise & Nutrition Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Just joined a gym...have questions

Posted by Marie26 (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 10, 05 at 18:40

This is my first time on this forum but I hope you can help me. I have about 25-30 pounds to lose and joined a gym today.

I am confused about which digital information I should be focusing on. Should it be the distance, the calories burned or the time spent on the machines at the gym? And why?

What about drinking water while at the gym? How much should I be drinking during the workout?

How often should I be going each week? Howlong each time (or is it better to focus on the distance or calories - back to the original question)?

I am determined to stick with this. I just started a job and I work until 4:00 each day so I plan to go to the gym directly after work.

Any advice you can give me is greatly appreciated. TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Just joined a gym...have questions

I usually go to the gym 3 days a week.I work out for 2 hours each time.I do weights and some ab work for an hour and then walk on the treadmill for almost an hour.I try to burn at least 800 calories while walking.I drink about 16 oz. of water while there.This is just things I do myself,not something I was told to do.You should try to go at least 3 days a week.I would'nt worry too much at first about time or calories.Do what you can but don't overdo it.Gradually build up to more as you feel able.I have been going to my gym for over a year and can definitely do a lot more than when I started.

o

Focus on building up the distance you walk, or the weight and reps on the machines. 3-5 times a week, alternating between something distance and something muscle-building.

Start light, and just keep pushing yourself.

Drink ample water ... at least a quart of it after the workout, or you will have more soreness than usual.

o

The important this is to start easy, so you do not hurt yourself. Select a routine that you enjoy, so you'll stick to it.

The main objectives are to built strength, stamina and flexibility. Strength comes from weight training, which will increase your muscular strength. Muscle is denser than fat tissue, so you'll slim down, and you'll get stronger. Stronger muscles will also improve your metabolic rate, so you'll be burning more calories. Stamina comes from aerobics training like running (or walking), swimming, bike riding -- anything that gets your heart rate up and keeps it there. This is good for cardiovascular fitness. It will keep your heart muscle in shape. Aerobic routines that involve some impact, like running or walking, also improve bone mass and prevent or reduce bone loss that occurs with aging. Both weight training and aerobics improve cardiovascular function and maintain optimal blood pressure.

Flexibility is important for preventing injuries while exercising. For flexibility, you need to stretch certain muscle groups that are prone to injury during strenuous exercise or sports. But if stretching is not done properly, you can hurt yourself. It's important to "warm up" by doing just a little light exercise for a few minutes before stretching. That could be walking, light jogging, stationary bike riding. Do it at a moderate pace just to warm up your muscles. Then you stretch. You should also stretch again after you've finished your exercise session. Get a good book or some personal guidance on how best to stretch. That's important so you do it right and don't hurt yourself.

As you get into a regular routine, you'll know you are getting where you want to go if you find that you look forward to a good workout and feel cheated if something happens and you can't go.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Exercise & Nutrition Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here