SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

How to exercise with broken foot?

I came back from a wonderful trip. I had been in pretty good shape before as far as general fitness, stamina, etc., but did so much walking, much of it uphill, that I feel really terrific now. However, while on the trip I stepped in a hole in the dark and broke a bone in my foot. I thought I had just sprained it and waited until I came home (it had improved a bit but not as much as I thought it should have by then) to have it x-rayed. I now have a removable "boot" that runs almost all the way up to my knee, rather than a cast, because a muscle attaches to the bone and I have to immobilize that muscle to prevent it from constantly pulling the broken part away from the anchored end of the bone. I am supposed to keep the boot on all the time except when sleeping. Also am supposed not to walk too much to avoid making that muscle tug even more. Fortunately the X-ray shows I do not have osteoporosis, thank heavens.

I am afraid I will both gain weight and lose ground if I can't find a way to exercise this winter. I am 50ish and menopausal so staying ahead of the slowing metabolism has been challenging. As it is I weigh more than I'd like. Three seasons a year until winter traps me inside, I am physically very active. I have balance problems so walking on ice and snow has been a long-term problem. Until the injury I had been planning to use my home treadmill more.

I do yoga and will use what of that I can. Any other ideas? I have an exercise ball (unused) and a weight machine (not recently used, hemmed in in a store room in my basement). Thanks for the help!

Comments (31)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH