Return to the Exercise & Nutrition Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
treadmill vs eliptical trainer

Posted by lbrown7 (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 9, 03 at 8:47

I know the benefits of less stress on joints and soft tissue. I am wondering about the work out? Does the elliptical give you the same work out or do you have to work harder? Also what is a good brand? If you have an eliptical, do you reccomend one?
Laurie in Ohio

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: treadmill vs eliptical trainer

If anyone is out there who can answer these questions, I would also be interested. I've used a treadmill for about 10 years and as I'm getting older, it seems to be harder on my knee joints.

o

I did a Google search, and all the reports are good - weight bearing exercise without the impact. The only caveat seems to be that you get what you pay for. Most sites reported that the less expensive machines had somewhat choppy movement.

I think I'll see whether my gym has one ...

Here is a link that might be useful: eliptical trainers

o

The elliptical is definately a harder workout - no doubt about it, as far as cardio training goes (even the lowest setting will give you a *great* workout). But it is definately easier on my knees than the treadmill, and my DF says his feet don't hurt nearly as much with the elliptical as they do on the treadmill (less "pounding", I guess). Just in case you're still out there wondering...I know this post is kind of older. :-)

o

I have a Sports Art elliptical trainer. I really like it, easy on the knees. It has a wide variety of programs and options. DH sets it on a more strenuous program, whereas I set it on one level of resistance and keep it there. It cost around $3000.00, and we've had it for about 15 months.
Hope this helps,
Annette

o

I know this is an older post but I just had to comment. I LOVE the elliptical trainer much more than any other cardio equipment. I have used two different machines, one made by PreCor and the other Pro form I believe. The PreCor is much smoother and has so many different levels of resistance and you can adjust the steepness, much like a treadmill. I have knee problems and ankle problems and the elliptical trainer is much easier on my joints. It is a great workout, seems almost effortless (trust me, it's not) and I find it less boring than a treadmill. It helped me lose 50 lbs!

o

I have knee problems and foot problems, so I tried an eliptical trainer at the gym. Actually, I've tried several times.

Though I'm not way out of shape, I can barely go five minutes on this machine. I keep going back to the treadmill - even though it hurts, I can do it for 30 minutes.

Has anyone had this experience? How long did it take you to get used to the eliptical trainer?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Exercise & Nutrition Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here