Return to the Exercise & Nutrition Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Disgusting diet restrictions! Can you help?

Posted by LeJane (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 1, 02 at 17:42

My dad hashas heart problems, high blood pressure, and diabetes. He has to follow a diet low in salt, sugar, carbohydrates and saturated fat, YUCK!
Here is his question:
Do you know of any convenience foods that fit his eating needs? There are lots of things that might be low in fat and salt, but they are usually loaded with huge amounts of carbs! He simply won't cook beyond maybe stir frying some frozen veggies in olive oil. He needs pre-packaged dinners or something like that. I live hundreds of miles away, so I can't cook for him. Does anybody have any ideas? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Disgusting diet restrictions! Can you help?

Can you convince him to purchase some fresh meat, slice it up, maybe add a little seasoning and throw it in with those stir-fried veggies?

There is a website called LowCarbFriends.Com that offers a lot of recipes.

Kay.

o

Kay,
The website is helpful! Thank you very much. Le Jane

o

I am not sure, but I would check with the 'Weight Watcher' frozen dinners. I hear they are good, and it is likely they are low in all those things.

o

Fish! A couple of brands in frozen section are already preseasoned and precooked- just heat em up. He should stay away from shellfish though because of the cholesterol.

Also the Voila frozen meals are really good- already chopped up veggies, usually chicken- just heat and it's done.

o

Do you have Tabatchnick (sp?) frozen soups in your local supermarket. They are very natural and are the closest thing to homemade that I've ever bought from the store. Very low in sodium and great taste. Definitely worth checking out. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Tabatchnick homepage

o

I find that most low carbs are HIGH fat :(

o

if dad simply won't cook, then it's bloody well time for him to go sit out by the woodshed and let the vultures pick his bones clean...

most of the older men I have worked with are IN the shape that they're in because they've never HAD to care for themselves- from their mom's table to their wife's table to their daughters running themselves to death trying to make up for their father's childishness.

if he loved you as much as you obviously love him, he'd take better care of himself.

period.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Exercise & Nutrition Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here