Return to the Exercise & Nutrition Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ab Energizer:

Posted by Brams (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 14, 01 at 14:14

Okay, I hate to be a pain with all the electric ab machine questions but I found one more. This one not only is more "reasonably" priced ($59.95) than the others but it also looks like it covers a greater area on the abdomin and the belt looks more substantial. But of course, everything looks better on tv and in pictures, this one could be just as cheaply made as some of the others. Please, I'd love to have some opinions on this one.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ab Energizer:

Can't anyone make me feel better about ordering this thing? LOL

o

WELL, BRAM.. I HAVE AN ABTRONIC AND IT FEELS GREAT.. I CAN REALLY FEEL THE WORK OUT.. I KNOW SOME ONE WHO HAS IT AND HAS LOST INCHES OFF HER WAIST..I'VE BEEN READING ALL THE STORIES THAT PEOPLE HAVE ON THIS DEVICE.. SOME ARE GOOD AND SOME ARE BAD.. YOU'LL HAVE TO TRY IT FOR YOUR SELF TO SEE IF IT SUITS YOU.

o

This is what I found in internet. Please read this before you order this ab energizer... Good Luck!
Good Morning America's consumer correspondent Greg Hunter found that the
machines can cause minor skin burns. Experts told him that anyone who thinks that
the devices alone will turn them into Mr. Universe is mistaken. The gadgets are based
on electronic muscle stimulation, or EMS, a system that delivers an electric charge to
make muscles contract.

John Porcari, a professor of exercise and sports science at the University of
Wisconsin, tested an EMS device similar to those on the market in a study
commissioned by the American Council on Exercise. After eight weeks of using the
device only, participants had no significant increases in muscle size or strength.

"I think people are wasting their time," Porcari said. "I think they're better off spending
their money on a personal trainer or buying a membership to a health club, or buying
a home piece of exercise equipment that they're going to use."

AbTronic declined any comment under advice of their attorney. Ab-Energizer also
declined comment, and Fast-Abs did not return phone calls or e-mails sent by Good
Morning America.

Want Flat Abs? Order Now

The Fast-Abs ad claims the technology makes it easy: "It's like our engineer shrunk
half a gym of bulky, expensive exercise equipment into a little electronic miracle the
size of a pack of matches."

Victoria Delaney, a San Francisco Bay area woman who saw the AbTronic
infomerical, was intrigued by the thought of achieving amazing abs just like the young
woman in the commercial.

"That's what I thought I was going to get," Delaney told Hunter, pointing to the buff
young woman's flat stomach. After seeing the ad, she immediately reached for her
telephone and credit card and ordered an AbTronic.

Delaney thought the device would let her get trim while sitting around and reading a
book or watching TV.

"Sure, I thought it would be easy," Delaney said.

Company Warns of Skin Burning Reports

Delaney said she used her AbTronic religiously for three days, but then she said she
had to stop because it gave her a number of minor but painful burns on her arms,
stomach, both legs and her back, making it difficult to sit.

When she looked at the instruction booklet later, Delaney discovered that the
company warned that "skin irritation and burns ... have been reported."

Though Delaney does not have any permanent injuries, her pride is a little scarred,
and she feels nave for being taken, she said.

But it is easy to see why people like Delaney might be drawn to the devices. Not only
does the AbTronic infomercial show seemingly perfect men and women using it, the
commercials claim that a University of Maryland study backs up products like theirs.

"Their conclusion was that an electronic stimulation was much better than exercise
alone, whether you use it as a supplement to your normal workout, or just by itself," a
female co-host of the infomercial says. "That proves that you get better results by the
use of the AbTronic fitness system," the male co-host chimes in.

Machine Can't Do It Alone

The University of Maryland scientist who conducted the study, Dr. Gad Alon, published
an article about electronic muscle stimulation in 1987. He said that he believes
high-quality EMS devices can strengthen the abdominal muscles, but that the
AbTronic infomercial took his findings out of context.

"In fact, we have used electrical stimulation on abdominal strengthening in a number
of studies," he said. "And that particular one [AbTronic] does not look at all like the type
of strengthening we do with electrical stimulation."

Porcari acknowledges that medically approved EMS devices can play a useful role in
rehabilitative medicine. But he says consumers can't comfortably get strong enough
contractions from these infomerical devices to build "awesome abs" without real
exercise.

"To get the benefits, you have to make your muscles contract to a certain level, and
that requires you to be able to withstand a lot of pain," he said.

Dr. Julio Garcia, a Las Vegas plastic surgeon, appeared in the AbTronic infomercial
touting the device.

"The nice thing about the AbTronic system is you don't have to go to a gymnasium,
where you have to do weight-lifting exercises, where we may have some other
medical problems that prevent from doing that - whether it's high blood pressure or
bad joints," Garcia says in the infomercial.

Garcia told Hunter that although EMS. can help maintain muscle tone, it will not help
people lose weight. He also said that the AbTronic commercial took some of his
words out of context, and that the machine alone cannot help a person lose weight,
lose inches and gain muscle definition.

"It was my intent to talk about many things together - diet, exercise, and the
machine," Garcia said. "It has apparently been portrayed as just a machine itself. And
that's not what I was there to talk about."

Delaney says she spent $150 on the AbTronic, and chalks it up to one of life's
lessons that she hopes others can learn from. Her advice to anyone lured by the ab
machine commercials is simple

"Don't buy it," she said.

o

DO NOT ORDER IT!!!!!!! I ordered it over 2 months ago and have not received it. I cannot contact customer service by phone or email. I have read atleast 4 other complaints from people having the same experience. The company, genesis intermedia, has had many lawsuits against it, including stock violations. Go to google.com and look up genesis intermedia and you will find what I am talking about.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Exercise & Nutrition Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here