Return to the Exercise & Nutrition Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
please give starting suggestions

Posted by vacuumfreak (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 18, 06 at 12:54

Hello all. I am 23 year old working college student. I am 6 feet tall, and currently 190 lbs. This is out of conntrol. 4 years ago I was the same height and weighed 148 lbs. Well, I moved and needed an emergency job, so I applied at Mc Donalds. Worked there 7 months and in that time gained 50 pounds! I haven't worked there for 3 years, but still have the effects. Now I have stretch marks, man boobs, love handles, and am starting with vericose veins on my thighs. NO more excuses... I don't want to get sick every time I pass a mirror. The buttons on some of my pants have popped off. And just last night, I sat in my computer char and the back came flying off under my bone crushing blubber. I actually stripped the threads in the knob that held the back on the base! I am making steps toward improving, but need to work on consistency. I'm no longer eating fast food at work for lunch... I'm packing a lunch every day. Drinking more water, though not enough. I try to "do the stairs" at the hotel I currently work in when I have the chance. The problem is when I get in from work, I am too exhausted to work out. I tried going to for 30 minute walks every day, but I didn't see any results after 2 weeks and gave up. I have a Gazelle glider, but I can't move fast enough on it to give myself a good aerobic work out. And, I bought it because it was silent, now it squeaks and creaks and drives me crazy. I've done everything short of submerge the stupid thing in WD-40 and can't get it to stop creaking. Since my time is limited, what is the most effective thing I can do... and since I am just starting, what can I do that is safe and easy to stick with? I don't eat great, but I figure if I start with excercising, I will lose by default... I'm not doing anything now. I love meats, frozen pizzas, things that taste good. The only vegetables I can even tolerate are carrots, cucumbers, lettuce, peas, corn, and potatoes. I like fruits, so have thought about buying them to snack on. I bought oatmeal, but by the time I load it up with sugar I think it isn't very good for me anymore! Should I start every morning off with oatmeal instead of cold cereal with? I drink 2% milk... do I need to switch to skim? I'm worried that I will have excess skin when I finally do start losing. Do you think Mederma or Cocoa Butter will help with my stretch marks? I'm open to suggestions... I have nothing to lose, except fat! I do not drink, smoke, or use drugs, so none of those things would be an issue for me working out. I live by myself (with a cat) in a first for 1 bedroom apartment, so not a lot of room for equipment. I walk around the perimeter of the complex when I walk, because there is no gym. I tried jogging, but can only go 2 or 3 minutes before losing my breath! Should I only ever drink water and nothing else? Are sit ups effective at all? I've heard mixed opinions! Thanks for any advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: please give starting suggestions

I tell you that if I were you I would start with reading everything that I possibly could at the WW's board and also at Dotties Weight Loss Zone..WW's is the easiest plan to live with forever...If you can afford to go to a few meetings all the better....You really need some motivation....and some commitment....I don't want to sound mean or beat you up but......You quit walking after 2 weeks .....that's barely starting...What did you expect in 2 weeks...and you are going to do situps when you wouldn't even walk...do you know how hard it is to do situps...I use the Gazelle everyday and I don't do it at breakneck speed...It will completely change your metabolism....and who cares if it squeaks.....Packing a lunch is great...but what are you packing? You have thought about buying fruits to snack on...You have made every excuse in the book for not doing any of the weight loss thing so I really wonder if you want it or just want to think about it...and talk about it...I have a friend who complains constantly about his weight and yet every week he is eating pizza and fried chicken etc....My suggestion would be make a commitment and make a plan...find out what you need to do to lose your weight...and you can start by walking as you were doing.

o
RE: please give starting.... suggestions

Here is the link to a great site...go and join and sign up for the emails too...It will help you stay motivated and they have great information at this site...

Here is a link that might be useful: Spark People

o

awesome resource for nutritional info, as well as workout schedules...

Here is a link that might be useful: not just for meatheads....

o

So what do you think...was this a "I had nothing better to do" post or someone who actually wanted information...Do you suppose this person has taken a step...any step toward weight loss...

o

Actually for a guy your size (you said manboobs so I'm assuming your a guy) you arent really overweight.
My husband is 6ft as well and about 185 pounds.When he had a physical the doc told him he was overweight.He does however have some problem areas.Like,he thinks his belly is too big. I for one love him how he is,but I'am also attracted to Doug from THE KING OF QUEENS,LOL.
If there is anything I have larned about weight loss,you can pretty much still eat foods you love in moderation if you incorporate more exersice into your lifestyle.
Dont start off with anything that will burn you out.Find something you LIKE doing.Walking doesnt get your heart rate up enough to lose weight unless your walking pretty fast. For me,days when I really didnt want to exersice,I'd just turn on some music and dance around for about 15-20 minutes.Swimming I also love,but kinda hard to do unless you go to the gym,which I dont.Maybe you can find an exersice video to do in privacy of your home.
After you get used to it,you can add more time or reps in and you will notice not so much as weight loss,but your muscles will be firmer and you will have more energy.You will lose inches,and then weight.Remember,muscle weighs more then fat!

Your diet doesnt seem that bad...2% is ok,but 1% would be better if you drink alot of milk. Cold cereal is a great thing to eat for breakfast. I read a study that said people who ate cold cereal everyday tended to weigh less then those who didnt.
Sorry,but mederma and cocoa butter dont do much for stretch marks at all.Nothing really does except possibly a laser surgery,but they are still testing that out. Also,if you can get to a dermatologist,I heard RETNA-A can help some but not completely get rid of them.
Most stretch marks fade over time to thin,silvery white and pretty much blend in with skin color,so dont worry too much about it.(I had horrible ones from pregnancy,but you would never know it now they have faded so much)
Good luck!

o

sorry meant doc said husband WAS NOT OVERWEIGHT. For a guuy his and your size he said he was in the right weight range.

o

I just heard on a report on tb that there is only 40 calories difference in 1 per cent and 2 percent milk and that isn't enought to make me want to drink 1 percent....I have to check it out myself but for 40 calories, I'm going to opt for 2 percent ....not to mention how good milk is for you...what do you all think?

o

I think 1% has less cholesterol though...and taste wise,it taste pretty much the same as 2% to me.

o

I've heard pros and cons on the milk for nutrition thing.A large number of adults have trouble digesting milk from a glass. Less so for foods processed with milk in the ingredients.(You don't have to take lactaid for the milk content in bread if you're lactose intolerant.) Milk,like wheat and sugar is found in most staple foods. Eliminating it from the diet would be a pain. A glass of milk for nutrition? I'm skeptical. Yogurt is suppossed to be good for you. No cheese would be really hard.(I really like cheese!) Ditto the icecream. I use milk to cook but I wouldn't drink it like a beverage. PJ

o

do pushups. seriously. can't do them ? do 'girlie's until you can finally do guys. do one, just one, each hour, on the hour. next day, two. etc. this really really burns calories, no gym req'd, no equipment req'd. you will be pathetic at first, for months, and then it will start to take. and lay off all sauces. but a button's worth of butter or mayo or whatever on your plate and touch the fork to it. that's all you get my dear. and food will still be very good. you can do it.

o

Push ups are a good idea. Especially for women. Upper body strenth/conditioning is usually an issue. A weekly plan that also included a brisk walk and some easy-does-it stretches you'd have a full workout fast,easy and free! PJ

o

I wouldnt do push ups myself.I already have muscular arms and anymore and I would have guy arms,LOL.

o

What's wrong with guy arms(looking around furtively)J/K It would be rare for a woman to bulk up doing push ups. I envy naturally muscular looking people. I could heavy train forever and still look the same. PJ

o

See,I have always been muscular and wished I could have a more,"delicate" body type. My husband jokes and says when he first met me he thought I was cute little brute.
I did use to lift 10 pound weights,but just by doing that my muscles were bigger then ex boyfriends (haha!)

o

Cute lil burte! LOL! How funny. I think this might fall into the same catagory as the straight hair/curly hair thing. Curly haired people wish their hair didn't go berzerk and straight haired people wish there hair would do anything at all! Actually, I'd take any "fit looking" build. Muscular,slender,tall or short. I know these poor women no matter how hard they work out they look cushy. They work so hard to look lean and strong but don't really look like they work out at all. The health benies are still there but it would be frustrating not to have any of the physical stuff! I wonder if they have super-high octane estrogen or something? PJ

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Exercise & Nutrition Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here