Return to the Exercise & Nutrition Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
walk away the pounds #5 - fresh start

Posted by KathyG7777 (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 8, 03 at 11:18

Okay ladies, it seems we have all been in the same "funk". I don't know about you guys, but I want to drop some weight before the holidays! Besides the fact that I have a lot of "tummy troubles" when I am not eating properly....and that's where I am right now.

Starting tomorrow, Sunday November 9, I am committing myself to eating in a healthy manner and getting in some form of exercise a minimum of 5 days per week.

This afternoon I am going to gather the Halloween candy leftovers and other "off limit" items and dispose of them! Then off to the grocery store to make sure I have plenty of fresh veggies & fruit, etc. so there are NO EXCUSES.

And she's off............

:)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: walk away the pounds #5 - fresh start

Good for you, girl! And starting tomorrow, I am going to exercise off all of this bad food that I have ate the last few days. I haven't gained any weight back though, thank goodness. I am still on the south beach diet and everyone keeps telling me how thin I am getting. I am getting a big head, lol! I really need to exercise,though, not saying I can everyday, especially with mom visiting and holidays and all. I am going to really try to eat right, though. Everyone is bumming because I said I am NOT making the tons and tons of cookies that I make every year.
So... tomorrow, I am a walking!!!!!

o

Well, I really didn't eat much today....partly because of "starting over" today, partly because I have a sore throat and cold and my appetite is almost non-existent. The pressure in my head is terrible. I didn't do a formal workout for that reason, but I did a lot of running errands and doing things around the house.

I am going to take some cold medicine and off to bed. Hope everyone had a good weekend!

o

Kathy, hope you start feeling better. What a bummer, just when you were all energized.
Going to do the 2 mile walk today, and then start a sewing project. Posting now, because I am going to be busy the rest of the day. Wanda

o

I woke up today feeling a bit better than yesterday. After work I jumped on the treadmill...only did a mile but considering the cold/sore throat and the fact that I haven't been walking for a while, I decided it was best not to overdo it.

I was reading the latest Prevention Magazine (has Denise Austin on the cover) about her Shrink Your Female Fat Zones program. Looks kind of interesting...think I'll finish reading that tonight.

Kathy

o

Cold and sore throat seem to be almost gone. Walked 25 minutes on the treadmill...ate very healthy today.

Well, here is what I learned from reading this article by Denise Austin.
The Shrink Your Female Fat Zones has 4 components and should show noticeable results in 6 weeks:
1) Walking 4x per week (Weeks 1&2-25 mins, Weeks 3&4-35 mins, Weeks 5&6-45 mins)
2) Stretching - 3 times per day for 3 to 5 minutes
3) Toning - 10 minutes 5 times per week
4) Dietary Changes - Make 1 change per week.
Week 1 - Go on portion control: Top half of plate should be vegetables or salad. Bottom half should be divided into two, one side being protein (fish, chicken, meat); the other being your starch (roll, rice, potato, pasta). If your protein and/or starch are too big to fit in a quarter of the plate, it's too big of a portion.
Week 2 - Fight fat with fiber - Fiber helps curb your appetite, removes fat and turns on the "burn fat" signal by lowering blood sugar which lowers insulin levels.
Week 3 - Savor good fats - Olive oil, nuts, avocados, flaxseed, and fish. Good fats slow stomach from emptying so you feel full longer.
Week 4 - Fill up on fruits & vegetables - 5 per day min.
Week 5 - Hone in on hunger - Learn to separate real "hunger eating" from eating for other reasons. Recommends keeping a Hunger Journal (when you eat, what you eat, what you were feeling/what the situation was, and rate your hunger level on a scale of 1-not at all hungry to 5-ravenous). This will shows patterns of eating for reasons other than hunger.
Week 6 - Identify and change behaviors - Making overeating connections, identify what you really need, deal with one issue at a time, don't go hungry (no skipping meals).

o

Okay I'm back. Started with 1 mile this morning. Hope to build up as the days go. Still in the funk of NOT WANTING to exercise, but know I felt better when I did.

Vickey-MN

o

Ate healthy again today. Had a Parent/Child event at the church tonight, so no walking. Did a little bit of TaeBo (and I mean a very little bit), but not enough to get me all wired up and then not able to sleep!

I made myself a workout schedule to help keep me on track and gave myself one night off per week. I guess I just used it up...LOL

o

1 mile again this morning. It's a start.

Kathy, how's your son's arm doing?

Vickey-MN

o

Vickey - He got his cast off Monday and slowly regaining the use of it. The new set of xrays looked great and he just needs to work on the mobility of his wrist. It gets a little better every day. He's going to Arizona with his Dad for Thanksgiving and the doctor said he'll be okay by then to play golf!
Walked 25 mins tonight and did about 15 mins of light weights for arms.

o

Toning video today, since it's been a while, I'll probably feel it tomorrow. We got a new puppy, so doing the floor exercises was a challenge, had to keep pushing the pup away, and would get the surprise lick in the face when I wasn't expecting it.

Vickey-MN

o

LOL...I love that about the puppy Vickey! What kind of dog? My chihuahua is 17 months now, but she's small enough that she likes to come sit on my stomach when I'm laying on my back trying to exercise.

Well, I didn't do anything yesterday. My TOM came 12 days early and I wasn't feeling too great. That has never happened before so I'm not sure what's going on. My girlfriends at work are convinced it's pre-menopause which I guess is a possibility because I've had a few other symptoms that could also point to that.

I had a good night's sleep, however, so I am up to a good workout today. Will check in later...........

o

Walked 25 mins, light weights for arms and ab crunches.

o

Did housework today and 25 mins on treadmill. Didn't start journaling and logging weight until Nov 11 so my official "weigh-in" days will be Tuesday mornings. I can't tell if anything is going on with weight...with TOM coming so early I'm all bloated, crampy and feeling yicky (that's a combination of "yucky" and "icky"....LOL).

o

Hi everyone! I am lurking here for right now. I still have company, until after Thanksgiving. So, I am not finding much time to workout. I am so sorry. Kathy, so glad that you started motivating this thread.

o

Did my 10 mins of toning; no walking tonight. Feeling better today....tomorrow morning is weigh-in...we'll see!

o

Well, this morning was weigh-in.....I lost 2.8 lbs....yeah! Did 25 mins on the treadmill. Today is the first day of my Week 2 (on the Denise Austin program I mentioned in an earlier post).....so I'm still doing 25 mins on the treadmill 4 times a week (I think I actually did it 5 times the first week). Next Tuesday will be Week 3 when I increase to 35 mins per session. I put my headphones on with a good CD and the time is up before I know it.

o

No workout tonight...had a band concert.

o

Thought it was the hot gym at last night's band concert that had me feeling faint. Think I had a touch of the stomach flu today. Nothing too serious, but definitely not up to working out.

o

Walked 25 mins tonight.

o

Well I seem to be here talking to myself which is ridiculous....so I guess I'm outta here!

o

LOL Kathy! You may be the only one talking, but there are others listening! I just can't get into the exercising this time. But I still know I need to and that's why I still come here and try to get motivated.

Wonder where Wanda and Vickey are?

Hang in there!!!

o

Kathy, please don't leave. I am still here. I just can't find much time to get on here with my mom visiting. I hate to get on the computer and just leave her sitting. Mom is leaving Saturday, and I am going to get back into working out for sure. I have really neglected it and I can tell. Although with all the eating I have done this month off of my diet, I am down two pounds past my goal I set for myself back into July when I went on the south beach diet. I set a new goal for myself, so I want to loose a few more pounds by January.
Please stay,Kathy!

o

Karen, come back, I worked out today. Did the 1 mile walk, then went shopping and running errands, and walked,walked,walked! Probally won't get anymore workouts in until after the weekend, but I definitely plan on getting back on track.
Sure hope that your checking in,Karen. I know how you must feel thinking everyone left you.

o

Whoops, I mean't Kathy! Sorry, had a senior moment there,lol!

o

I hope that all of you have a wonderful thanksgiving day!
Anyone working out today?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Exercise & Nutrition Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here