Return to the Exercise & Nutrition Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Body For Life

Posted by BetsyF (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 1, 01 at 10:35

My doctor recommended Body For Life - it worked for her and she's only been on it for 8 months. I told her I wanted to lose 10 to 15 lbs. and she said not to think in terms of weight - just size. I've read the Lean and Strong site and looked at the amazing before and after photos. Needless to say, I'm off to the library or Walmart for the book today. I plan on putting both me and hubby on BFL - starting today!
I have 3 questions first: I really don't want to look like a bodybuilder, just be lean and fit. On BFL, will my muscles bulk up? Also, the last thing in the world I want is to increase my bust size. I'm a 36D now and long for my 34B days (clothes fit better). Will BFL make my bust larger?
And last question: I do 1 hour of intense kickboxing twice a week - I sweat like a pig so I know it's doing something. I haven't lost weight or size but I feel stronger and more physically confident. Will this count as cardio on BFL program and is it too much or should I stick with 20 mins. cardio? Oh, BTW, I'm 50 years old but people think I'm in my 30's. And I have an 8 year old that keeps me running.
P.S. The thought of posting "Before" pictures in a bathing suit is almost terrifying!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Body For Life

Chances of you bulking up and looking like a body builder are slim, as they use HEAVY weights and work HARD to look like that. You may wish to really consider spot training where you work the areas that you want to work and use light or no weights on the areas you do not want to build. I would think that anything that raises the heart rate and makes you sweat, is cardio. I am not familiar with BFL. I know you can buy this book at Amazon.com and you can also read what other buyers have reviewed about the book.

o
RE: Body For Life

Betsy - and anyone else reading this....

I've been on BFL since April and it has been WONDERFUL. I highly recommend it!

First off, check the Diet forum and look through the old threads. There's one about BFL there where I go over the program in some detail and answer a lot of your questions. I also post regularly at the www.3fatchicks.com forum - we have a running BFL thread there in the "Diet Plans" forum. Check the archives for info.

Good for you for going to the Lean & Strong site - keep reading their message board and post to it when you feel like it. They will definitely answer a lot of your questions - it's a very positive, motivating and HELPFUL bunch they have there!

I agree with your friend - DON'T focus on the scale. Instead, focus on body fat measurements (using calipers or the "Pants-o-Meter" and tape measure) and how you FEEL. I know those before photos can be really tough to take, but you will really regret NOT having them at the end of 12 weeks. Take all your measurements - hip, thigh, calf, waist, bicep, chest - and take those front and back photos right before starting the 12 weeks. You don't have to look at the photos right away - in fact, I didn't send mine to the developers for weeks! (we have a digital camera now so no problem there).

Now on to your three questions:

>>I really don't want to look like a bodybuilder, just be lean and fit. On BFL, will my muscles bulk up?

I'm going to use myself as an example - check out my progress pix (link below). I definitely do not look like a bodybuilder! That takes a lot of hard work. Just follow the book exactly for the first 12 weeks...hit your 9's and 10's...and you will be on your way to being lean and muscular (which looks better than skinny and unfit). Go to the L&S Transformation Gallery again and look at Maybellene's before and after photos (that's the only name that comes to mind). My most recent progress photo is on the Transformation Gallery as well - taken a couple of weeks ago (I haven't had a chance to update my webpage yet).

A lot of women think 'muscular' and visions of Ms. Olympia come to mind - the huge muscles...my idea is more of the Muscle & Fitness Hers/Energy for Women magazines cover models - lean and strong...

>>Also, the last thing in the world I want is to increase my bust size. I'm a 36D now and long for my 34B days (clothes fit better). Will BFL make my bust larger?

Since your breasts are mostly fat and tissue, no. But your PECS will get more developed, making your bust perkier. My bust is actually getting smaller (right now I'm a 34C - formerly a 36 C/D) but judging from my hubby, I'd say it's a definite bonus (when I weighed 265, I wore a 44DD bra).

>>And last question: I do 1 hour of intense kickboxing twice a week - I sweat like a pig so I know it's doing something. I haven't lost weight or size but I feel stronger and more physically confident. Will this count as cardio on BFL program and is it too much or should I stick with 20 mins. cardio?

Most people on the Lean & Strong would agree with what I'm going to say here - if you enjoy your kickboxing, keep it up but do it in ADDITION to the 20 Minute Aerobic Solution (or 20MAS). Believe me, when you hit your 9 and 10 intensity level during the 20MAS, you'll know it - you will be WORKED far beyond what you have experienced in any class. This is coming from a former cardio bunny who was spending 7 days a week doing hours of carido on the elliptical and two spinning classes a week, in addition to road bicycling, hiking, etc...and wondering the whole time why I was working so hard and not burning any fat!

Take care and we'll see ya at Lean & Strong!

P.S. Here's an essential website with BFL info: www.hussman.com/eas - answers a ton of BFL questions!! Print it out!

Here is a link that might be useful: My BFL Progress photos April - August 2001

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Exercise & Nutrition Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here