Return to the Exercise & Nutrition Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Toning or Stretching

Posted by Vickey (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 1, 01 at 9:14

Okay I've been "Walking away the pounds" but find I would like to "speed up" the looking better process. So I have a couple of questions.
1. What is the difference between toning and stretching?
2. I'm VERY overweight (I hate the word obese, so use VERY instead), which would be more benificial? I really want to loose the belly!
3. What video's would you recommend - remember it has to be BEGINNER.

Thanks to all.

Vickey

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Toning or Stretching

Vickey, Both toning and stretching are important. you need to do some toning and then stretching when you are done. I would suggest looking into the Body For Life exercise routine. It is not alot to do but very effective. I tried the program for two weeks and could see results in my arms already. I did not follow the eating plan though, I think it is more geared towards weight lifters, not dieters, I actually gained on the plan. And yes, I know muscle weighs more than fat and I probably didn't gain weight after all, but still, I have about 30-35 more pounds to lose and I want to lose it, not just tone up the fat I have. If you would like the info on the exercise routine you can email me.

GinaMarie

o

You might try Callanetics - I think there's a beginner video. The regular "Callanetics" video also includes suggestions for beginners, people with back problems, etc. See the Callanetics thread on this forum.

o

Vickey, go to www.collagevideo.com I believe they have something that when you type in your level of fitness and your goal there are suggestions for what type videos you can try.

o

"Toning" is generally strengthening and tightening muscle. "Stretching" is extending muscle to keep it supple and flexible. Both are very important. Stretching before your workout can prevent injury. Stretching after your workout, when the muscles are nice and warm, can improve flexibility. Strengthening muscle can actually help you burn fat more quickly. The more muscle you have, the better your metabolism. A great exercise routine includes aerobics, strength training, and stretching.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Exercise & Nutrition Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here