10g of sugar per 100g of food is a lot
2g of sugar per 100g of food is a little

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: guide to eating too much fat

some of those even seem like a lot...

o

It depends on where those fats and sugars are coming from.

o

A gram of fat = 9 calories.
A gram of veggie = 4 calories.
If something is 100 calories and 9 grams of fat, that = 90 calories from fat!
Remember that!
Salena

o

there is things we eat thinking they are healthy but are actually filled with fat and sugar.
granola bars are one of those.
puff pastries are horrible, it's the fat in them that makes the pastry puff and rise up.
check what type of crackers you buy, you might be better off with rice crackers.
Learn some vegetarian dishes to cut down on meat meals.
do without margarine if you can, no dressing on salad, just a squirt of lemon juice and herbs.
just be imaginative, it's the little things that amount to much eventually.

o

My advice to all is to READ LABELS. Some fats are good, like extra virgin olive oil, which contain heart healthy omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids. Educate yourself, and don't trust marketing and hype. Even "health foods" you think are safe can have harmful ingredients. Partially Hydrogenated fats are lethal. Cancer, heart disease, diabetes, liver disease, the list grow from this "non food". It's so bad, that cities are actually passing legislation to ban it, yet it's present in almost everything you buy today, from crackers, to breads, cereals, etc. And don't let the FDA's new trans fat nutrition labels fool you. Food companies with foods that contain partially hydrogenated oils (trans fats) are allowed to claim 0% TRANS FAT or TRANS FAT FREE if the amount is under .5 per serving, however what if you eat more then one serving, which many of us do? I don't want to feed my family any amount of this poison! Beware of all Hydrogenated oils.

Also, sodium and sugar. Two ingredients that continue to ruin our American diet. High fructose syrup is abundant in many foods and is actually more taxing on your body then just plain old table sugar since High fructose corn syrup must be metabolized in the liver. Anytime your body has to work hard to digest foods, your resistance becomes challenged and you become ill. Yes, your diet has great affect on every aspect of your health!

I challenge everyone who's reading this to go check the labels on the foods in your refrigerator and cabinets. Let's see how many so called "healthy foods" you turn up that contain Hydrogenated fats and High Fructose Corn Syrup. Start with your ketsup and salad dressings and work your way through.

o

Thank You for this guide. I am pre diabetic and have high cholestrol. I have been looking for this type of info.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Exercise & Nutrition Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here