Return to the Exercise & Nutrition Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how to lose inches

Posted by dcrowex (dcrowex@aol.com) on
Sat, Oct 18, 03 at 23:24

Need some advice:

i dont really need to lose the weight, it is more inches. what is the best exercise equipment at the gym for this? i have been going on a regular basis and use the hip abductor as the main one for this, in addition to the treadmill, etc. i am always afraid of adding muscle when i am trying to lose the inches. how do you tell if you are doing it right. i have been doing 2-3 sets of 15 @ 50 lbs. by the time i get to about 11 or 12, i can feel the tightness so i figure i have enough weight. is this right?

any other exercises that can be done at the gym? i am not good about working out at home.

thanks, deb

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how to lose inches

With women, the key is less weight and more reps. That way you tone and lose inches, and don't bulk up.

Alternate the weight training days with light cardio days (a walk or stationary bike ride) and your body will respond nicely.

I also miss my Pilates classes. All of us women in the class lost major inches. But due to a lot of circumstances I quit going. What I should do is start doing it at home with a tape or book. Maybe my posting here will motviate me. I know it works!

o

Trek, well i lost the weight i wanted and now need to lose the inches. thanks for the tip on this. i was never really sure and didnt want to add to the inches on my hips! but you bring up another good point...pilates....i just dont know anything about this. i thought it was like yoga, which really doesnt interest me. but now i am hearing more and more about it. they are offering a class in this at our gym. you say its worth it?
deb

o

Definitely worth it. It focuses on your powerhouse areas, abs and back muscles. And it tones like you would not believe. There isn't a woman in the class who has not lost inches. I hope to see a light at the end of the tunnel at work so I can squeeze in time to do some more.

o

Ok, I got up today and did my 100's (a pilates ab exercise) and 20 pushups. I feel like just two exercises, I should be able to fit in at least that much every day. If I do more, great! But at least I can pat myself on the back for doing SOMETHING. And who, among us, can't stand a little toning in the tummy area. The pushups are key for me, too, because women tend to be a little weak in upper body strength. And now, DD weighs 52 pounds so I need all the strength I can get for those 'carry me' moments!

o

thanks for the replies....i think i am going to look into the pilates that is offered at our gym. i called them yesterday and talked about it and they said pretty much the same as you all. TREK, are you doing the pilates at home? do you have a tape or something and how long does it take to do it at home? i want to try this but really hate to spend even more time at the gym. i WILL, but it has to be in the evening when classes are offered and i hate to take away from family time after working and being gone all day.

deb

o

I'm doing it at home. I did the classes for a year at a dance studio so I know the proper moves. I forget the order they go in sometimes LOL

The class is an hour, the tape I have is 30 minutes. But I don't do the whole thing every day. I just try to do the core ab things daily.

o

can you recommend a tape? i have seen several.
thanks, debbie

o

I don't know the name of mine - it's one they sell at Target. Some of the girls in class do Winsor Pilates but it's pricey, and you can get the same result from the no-names. The one I have is all floor work, no equipment needed besides a mat.

o

I have two pilates tapes I bought at Target - Winsor and Denise Austin. I like the Winsor one more, as it is closer to what our gym offers. ~ Suzie

o

suzie, thanks - ill look around for that one. i think i would feel more comfortable trying this at home1
deb

o

Oh deb!

Did I mention? All of us look and feel like clutzes in the beginning. I was only able to do modified versions of the moves (the instructor on the tape usually gives you both ways to try).

I had tendonitis in my abs, and I had to take it slow. So I stayed in the very ungraceful phase for a few months. You may progress to graceful phase faster than me if you don't have other problems.

I just tell you this to encourage you to not worry about how well you do the moves, and not to pressure yourself to the advanced moves until you're ready.

The commercials for Winsor are right about one thing. You will really feel a difference after just one week.

o

Trek, you have gotten me totally pumped on this now! If you can feel a difference after one week, this is what I am looking for. I am not expecting miracles, but its nice to know that if you are dedicated you will see results sooner. I know I will be a total clutz on this at first, LOL, but thats ok - I think I can eventually get into the swing of it. Think I will look for Windsor this weekend!

deb

o

Trek, looked for the video since i was at the mall tonight...didnt find the windsor one but found one that is actually called Pilates for Dummies....criminey,that is what i should have got! LOL. will check my Target this weekend.

deb

o

Using the QVC pilates machine and I notice I sit straighter now. Was never interested in yoga, but pilates is yoga-like and surprisingly, I like it. Really feel it in the stomach area. Also joined a gym and a trainer put me thru a weight routine that left me with bruising on my upper arms, so I've laid off for two weeks now. But plan to be back on the pilates tomorrow.

o

"i am always afraid of adding muscle when i am trying to lose the inches"

Muscle is GOOD ... and very few women bulk up like men do even when they are working out heavily. It's a hormone thing.

Any aerobic exercise ... walking, hill climbing, walking up and down hills (a week in San Francisco is worth 2 inches off my butt, no matter what shape I'm in when I get there), those leg-push machines will all work.

To bulk up the hips and thighs you wold have to be doing squats with heavy weights.

o

I am a "lurker" occassionally on this board, but I often post on the kitchens bd and a couple of others. I went out and bought a pilates video last week after reading this and the kids are doing them wih me! Thanks for the ideas and input........ After 4 kids in 5 years, my body is SHOT. I am still nursing the 4th one, so I don't want to diet too strenuously *besides, my "diet" these days seems to be the leftovers from their plates!* and maybe this video will help. It's a godsend that it entertains the children!

o

well i bought the pilates tape at target a couple weeks ago and have been doing the part for the hips and stomach in the mornings before i go to work. i could not find the windsor, so have a different one, but i put the windsor one on my xmas list. anyway, i do have to say that i definitely can feel something different with the pilates exercises. i have been going to the gym, but this reached different muscles and i liked how it targeted the problem areas. i have quite a way to go, but at least i am learning something different and i am so glad i followed the recommedations in here.
deb

o

Can someone tell me the name of one of the Pilates videos that you have? I need something that is mostly mat work. My dr told me to walk, but I work 12-hr shifts and am on my feet the whole time, so I need something that gets me off them. Any suggestions appreciated.

o

I have one I am real happy with and it is all floor work. i use is mainly for the hips and it really feels like i am working that area. that section is about 15 min which i can do in the morning. i forget the name but will get it and report back. it has 2 sections, one is all floor work, then the other is mostly standing like ballet things. will get back to you, but i got it at target.
deb

o
//RE: how to lose inches

I really liked this one because you can pick what area you want to work on. I live the DVD scene #7 I think it is - it works on the butt area.

found at Target for around 19.99

The New Method Pilates Precision Toning and Sculpting
by
Jennifer Kries

deb

o

I just finished up my freshman year in college and I haven't put on the "Freshman 15" but I have put on like 10 or so...But I found that it is all in my hips and butt. I had a bigger back side to begin with, but its definitly a little bigger now. I found I can't pull my old jeans or jean skirts up over my hips. I just got home 2 days ago but i am planning on joining the gym tomorrow! I have never been able to lose weight in my hips before and I was thinking Pilates might help... If anyone has any suggestions I would be grateful!
Thanks

o

Hi i am wondering on how to lose some inches while working out for football...i was wondering on what to do on off days to help me in the gym/on the field and lose inches....thanks for any advice

o

If you want to lose inches but not weight, excercise more and eat more.

o
RE: how to lose inches without gaining muscle is impossible

I just saw the part about you being afraid to gain muscle. Sorry, you can't lose inches without losing weight if you don't convert fat to muscle.

It seems weird to me that you prefer weakness to strength, but it's your body.

Your goal unfortunately, is unachievable. I can only suggest you change it to something that is possible.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Exercise & Nutrition Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here