Return to the Exercise & Nutrition Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Most effective way to use an elliptical for weight loss/toning

Posted by lola31 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 14, 08 at 15:35

Hello, I'm a newbie to this forum.
I had a question about the most effective way to use an elliptical machine. Is it better to use a low resistance vs. high to effectively lose weight and tone? I definitely don't want my legs to get bulky, I need to trim them down. I normally do an interval program (varying levels 1-8) on the machine from 45 - 60 minutes. It shows that I burn 500-600 calories. I've lost 18 lbs. already, but still have 40 lbs. to go. I've heard from others to stay on level 1 and work at a fast pace for weight loss OR some have said do a higher resistance and I won't need to be on the machine for so long. I can't seem to get a straight answer either way. In addition to my routine, I also weight train and use the treadmill.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Most effective way to use an elliptical for weight loss/tonin

Lower resistance/fast pace burns more calories, but won't make you bulk up. I know how it is when you work your legs and then end up with these huge thighs because the quadriceps are so large!Then your jeans fit funny. The higher the resistance, the more muscle you will build. It is just like weightlifting. The advantage is that your body burns more calories when there is more muscle for it to support. Good luck. Now I guess I should go downstairs and jump on MY elliptical....

o
RE: Most effective way to use an elliptical for weight loss/tonin

Here was an eye-opening article for me on ellipticals. I was using the elliptical for a month and didn't notice any difference. I think I had more luck with the stationary bike.

Here is a link that might be useful: pros and cons of ellipticcal

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Exercise & Nutrition Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here