Return to the Exercise & Nutrition Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Heart Rate Monitors

Posted by Michie1 (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 18, 02 at 14:52

I am considering getting my husband a wireless heart rate monitor for Xmas. I know he won't like wearing the wired ones around his chest while biking or jogging, plus I'm not sure they'd fit around his chest either.

Does anyone know if they are as accurate as the wired ones or how they work?

I know they can be expensive, but I was wondering if anyone can recommend any that are good & don't have unneeded expensive features.

Thanks,

Michie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Heart Rate Monitors

Does your husband have a heart problem of some sort? If so, I would ask his doctor what he reccomends. Is his doctor advising him to jog?

If he doesn't have a problem, why on earth are you going to get something like this? He should be able to tell how fast his heart is beating by feeling his own pulse and counting. It takes a little practice, but it is the easiest way of keeping track of how hard the heart is working.

o
RE: Heart Rate Monitors

Although my husband does have a left bundle branch block of the heart, which is more like a different way it conducts it's electricity than most, it's not something that impedes his ability to exercise or it's functioning. He works a physically difficult job & has always exercised both with weights & aerobics (running). He's under the care of a cardiologist b/c of family history to heart disease, which he does not have.

One does not get a heart rate monitor only b/c they have a problem - one reason would be to monitor target heart rate which is at the best way one should be exercising to get maximum benefit. I think he exercisie harder than he needs to.

We both know how to count pulse rate & check but when you're exercising one usually stops to check this & not that is not accurate.

Michie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Exercise & Nutrition Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here