Return to the Exercise & Nutrition Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
treadmill or weights ? which one is first?

Posted by dcrowex (dcrowex@aol.com) on
Thu, Oct 9, 03 at 7:54

I recently returned to the gym, but always have the same question - are you supposed to do the weights first, or the treadmill, eliptical, stairmaster, etc? I have heard it both ways. I have heard you should do the weights first because you have a chance to fully work your muscles without being exhausted from the treadmill, but have also heard you should do the treadmills first as it gets the blood pumping thru the muscles for a better workout. Anyone know?
deb

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: treadmill or weights ? which one is first?

I was always taught to do 10 minute treadmill as warmup for cardio. Believe it or not, weight training gets your heart rate up. So a 10 minute stroll is a good warmup for all your muscles including the most important one, the Heart.

o

thanks, i never knew which was correct - i have seen it both ways.
deb

o

Do both for sure. If you just lose weight, you'll just look like a smaller version of what you are. Lift weights and you'll get toned and you'll be much happier with the results. I just started HIIT (high intensity interval training) I don't recommend this unless you are in somewhat decent shape. Just something to look at though.

o

thanks for advice. the bulk of my working out takes place on my lunch hour - so limited time. i usually only do the weight training and depending on how many days i can get there, i will alternate and only do less weights on one day and then use the eliptical. i do usually go on weekends as well and then get a full workout. weight is not really a problem for me, its more toning and losing inches. hope i see some results eventually!
thanks again

o

if time is a factor and you are in half decent shape... consider HIIT training. It's hell, but I'm starting to look forward to my 'punishment'.

I put a link to the article that got me interested in trying it. I'm using their 2 month chart too.

Not sure of you age or condition so you might want to consult someone before considering it. I've read a lot or articles that say trainers and doctors do not recommend HIIT training because of liablility issues. I'm 30, in good shape (ice hockey twice a week) and like this much better then the slow, boring 40 min rides. I'm only on 6 min. I'm sure I'll by crying by 15min.

Here is a link that might be useful: HIIT Training

o

i went to the link....dont think i am in good enough shape to handle this intensity....i would pass out, LOL. but i did learn something, had never heard of this before.

deb

o

It's new to me to deb... I'm up to 7 min and want to cry before I start each time.

I'm inspired though... see link below. Everytime I ride or lift... I think of this guy and what he did.

Here is a link that might be useful: Transformation 2003

o

WOW, that is pretty incredible to see that transformation...so there is hope for me???? thanks for sending....i am plowing away at this but get discouraged when i dont see something after a month!
deb

o

Never give up... I've been lifting for about 5 weeks now. I'm lifting more and more weight each week, but I don't really notice any difference. I fell off track this weekend and had meatballs, beer, nachos and dip and even ribs today. *sigh* I am not expecting results like the guy in the link I posted. He is truly following a strict diet/program. I just can't do it. I'm just gonna keep pluggin' away and hope for some results I'll be happy with.

This week I will be trying HIIT training in the mornings. What a horrible thing to have to wake up to. ;)

o

Notoice in that guy's "transformation page" that major improvement happened in the first three months.

He's showing sings of being a "body freak" towards the end ... way too little body fat, close to emaciation.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Exercise & Nutrition Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here