Return to the Exercise & Nutrition Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help women marathon runners!

Posted by Nike (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 6, 02 at 4:37

Help! I have my first marathon this December (8th) and I realized that my period will be falling the week of the Marathon. I have extra packets of my Ortho Tricyclen (birth control pills) lying around and thought that I should start taking them again, but take the 21 days rather than the 28 and take them back to back because I read somewhere that you could skip your period that way. Is that true? Has anyone tried that? I really would rather not have to deal with my period at the Marathon. Plus I'll be staying at a Hotel with some friends and we'll be sitting in the pool and jaccuzi the entire time after the race. Help?!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help women marathon runners!

You should always check with your doctor before starting or changing your medication. Now, having said that...

Yep, done that. Of course when I did it I was already on the pill and I just took a few extras to avoid getting my period on a special weekend.

But I don't know about starting on the pill when you are ramping up for a marathon. Hormones do all kinds of crazy things to our bodies, especially those first couple of months when we are adjusting to them. You have worked so hard for this marathon, do you really want to muck with your body chemistry now?

Kay.

o
RE: Need help women marathon runners!

Are you on the Pill right now? If so, there shouldn't be any problem just taking the pills contiuously (not taking the pink ones, or the sugar pills) If you take them continuously, you will "skip" your period that month. I wouldn't recommend doing that more then one month at a time.

If you aren't on the Pill right now, I am not sure how it would work. It might take you some time to get adjusted to it, and I'm not sure how regular your periods are to start with?

But like Kay said, checking with your doctor is always best!

I saw that you live in Hawaii. Are you running the Honolulu Marathon? My mom ran that one back in 1980! Good Luck!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Exercise & Nutrition Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here