Return to the Exercise & Nutrition Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mia fennigan air glider??

Posted by serenatskn (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 28, 01 at 0:39

Hi! I've decided to buy this glider over the Gazelle.. or at least, am REALLY considering it. But, i want to know if doing 30 mins on this of running pace would reap the same benefits as going out for a real jog/run. Are there any pro's/con's with this machine?

(The cheapest I've found it is $100, plus $30 shipping..)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mia fennigan air glider??

I have a calorie gage on mine (XL-Glider), it tells me what I am burning. It indicates that I burn more with more extension (full spread leg glide). I know that I could never use the muscles that I can on my glider just running or walking. I have a kinda "routine" that makes me use my buttocks, calves, inner-thighs, outter thighs, and upper arms (upper body). I get a nice tight feeling in the calves and thighs if I elevate my feet a bit and stand on toes. Did you get the video?
Jainie

o

Hi, I agree with Jainie! I also have the xl glider and I use it every day for 45 minutes. I would never work up the sweat I do with the glider by walking or jogging!
I to use different routines and I just love it!
Nancy

o

I've been searching all over the internet about gliders, and am really ready to buy one, too. I am really leaning towards the XL glider. I tried Tony Little's tonight at Sports Chalet, and noticed there is no resistance. What is the resistance like on the XL? I have also tried to find comparisons with Brenda Dygraf's Lifegear Walker. The biggest difference with hers is that it doesn't have any handles. It has a pad that you kind of lean on. Being only 5'1", I wonder if the pad will hit me in the chest instead of the waist, like it hits Brenda. It seems you could do more exercises with the handles, too. Any comments from you veteran gliders would be appreciated!!!

o

The handles help position you for upper body and enhance the cardio work out. It's like when you do aerobics, If you incorporate the arms and bring them above the waist, the better the work out. I have stopped using the resistence, I create my own resistence with different positions. Once you use it, you'll see what I mean. And the wider the glide, the more resistence. I think thats why Tony Little didn't waist his time with resistence on his model. I start out with a minimal glide to warm up. Then I go for the long strides, which works me right into a jog. I then push in my butt, and pull on the handles for Upward kicks, then push down for Outward Back kicks (becareful that nothing is in fornt of or behind the glider, I hit my dresser and put a dent in it). Then I go back to a minimal glide raising on my toes, knees bent, gradually going back to the wide glide. After about 20 min., I change positions to work on inner thighs with a scissor type movement (I do this for a whole song). Then back to the jog, a minimal, and I walk it out. (this usually takes about 30 min, but I have gone longer when I have time. I do this to music. My fav CD is Virtual Insanity by Jamiraqui. But I use others. Now that I use this, I wouldn't know what to do without it. When you get one, you'll see that your routine will change, and your body will too. I am going to start doing it in the morning and in the evening. I have more energy now. It really cuts that TV time out. I need that.
Jainie

o

Thanks, Jainie, it really sounds like you love your glider. I am actually trying to incorporate exercise into my TV time and thought the glider would be the way to go LOL. What is the video like that comes with the XL. I am guessing that it is just an example of exercises you can do, and not a work out tape. Also, what do you think of the glider for shorter people? Do you think it will be a problem? I think not, because you could grab the handles where ever you want, not like on the Dygraf glider, which has a pad you lean into. But I'd like your opinion. If I spend as much time on the glider as I have researching it, I will be in good shape LOL!!

o

Hi, I am 5'2 and I have no problem with the xl glider!
I use mine every morning while I watch tv! 45 minutes really fly by and I do over 2 miles! I have never watched the video that came with my glider:( I just do my own routine! I warm up for 10 minutes and then I start jogging on it. If I get tired or bored I do grab back onto the handles and start doing varying exercises. I have lost 20 pounds in the last 2 months with it!

o

Thanks, Tiredmom! I was glad to hear from another "shortie". Well, my going back and forth has put me up against a wall. The XL is sold out on QVC, so it looks like I will order the Mia, since they are basically the same thing. They said they would put me on a waitlist, but it could be a long time before it comes in, and I am ready to go NOW(after about a month of looking all over the web). Are you dieting as well, or has the exercise on your glider been the only thing you have changed in the last two months. Your results are fabulous!

o

I have also been dieting, but I have stayed with the glider where as I don't stay with things such as Tae-bo. I just love the glider. I like to watch tv :( so I thought why not get something that I can do and watch tv at the same time, and this works great!
I was like you, I kept looking between the 2 gliders. The only reason I picked the XL is because it had more of a waranty with it! I don't think that mattered much though!
The glider makes me fee SO much better!!!
I really think you will like it!!
Hope you get one soon. Nancy

o

OK, now I have found the gliders on Ebay. I have never used Ebay before - another thing for me to look into. I probably should just buy a glider and be done with it so I can start watching TV and exercising!! You have been so helpful.

o

You will also have fun on E bay, my husband has grounded me from E bay! Good luck! Are they new or used?

o

Both new and used, and reconditioned. I am a little leary of ordering from Ebay, though. What if I need to return it?

o

Hi,
With the video, I watched it twice. It had some examples of how to use it that were helpful. I don't use it to exercise by. It didn't have the scissors exercise on it that I do for the inner thighs. I got creative with the tippy toe thing. I have a full sized mirror in front of the glider in the wall, just like at the gym. It motivates me for some reason. If I can see anything jiggle, I know that I have more work to do, if I see myself sweating hard, I know I am doing a good job. Also, it helps me see if the children are too close to the foot rests (I have a 3 and 1 yr old). They always like to be where mommy is. This is one piece of equipment that I know won't gather dust like my treadmill, stepper and weight bench. Do yourself a favor and lubricate the cross sections, it will help the squeaks that can occur after prolonged use. Mine is very quiet since I enhanced it with 2 washers and some WD 40. I remember how the treadmill was so noisey. You can't even tell someone is using the glider.
Jainie

o

I think it is up to the seller of the item on E bay? Not to sure. I have only bought new things from stores on E bay.

What have you decided?

Jainie, how long do you use yours? I need to put some WD40 on mine as it is a little noisey.

I have teenage boys that love to use it! One is a big wrestler and they have a glider in the weight room and the boys really use it a lot I guess.
Nancy

o

OK, I just ordered the Mia from QVC. I don't want to wait for the XL to become available, and I've never done an Ebay auction before, so I just took the plunge! I also figure if I have a problem, returns or replacements will be easier throught QVC. Jainie, could you let me know how you enhanced the glider for the squeeking? I want to print that out and save it for my hubby. Also, I'd love some tips on exercises - feel free to email me privately. QVC said I should have it by 11/14. That gives me about 6 weeks before the beginning of 2002! Nancy, what diet are you following? I also have about 20 pounds to lose.

You both have been so helpful. Thank you!

o

Hi Susan! I am glad you took the plunge! You are right returning it would be safer with QVC.
I have been following WW and using slimfast. Plus, yes I am bad but I have been taking stacker2. Seems to help with the extra pounds. I have really changed my diet drastically and I feel SO much better. I use to be a pop addict! No more, but I do drink tons of water through out the day.

Nancy

o

Hey, My husband took the Allen screw out that holds the 2 bars together at the cross bend. He had a nylon washer between the bars (very thin one). He lubbed them with WD 40 and put them back together again. He worked the bars closed and open again a few time and regreased, then tightened it up. Doesn't make much noise at all now. One thing I noticed is that if you leave it up, (and don't put it away), it squeaked more. I sometimes just open and close it if it makes alittle noise again and I guess the washer spreads the lubrication around again (must have made a dry spot). We will probably relube eventually, but, the washer keeps the metal from wearing (hubby says), and can be easily replaced. I just like it quiet.
I use mine for about 30 minutes, sometimes longer, but usually 30. I don't like to use it right before I go to sleep. That tends to keep me awake. Mostly, when I get up in the morning (before breakfast), or around 8:00 at night, an hour or so after dinner.
Jainie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Exercise & Nutrition Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here