Return to the Exercise & Nutrition Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Breakfast foods for a low carb diet?

Posted by faye8 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 25, 03 at 22:36

I am trying to eat a low carb diet and have been successful, but am running out of ideas for breakfast. I love eggs, but do worry about eating them everyday. Any ideas on a good breakfast low carb entree?

Faye

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Breakfast foods for a low carb diet?

Have you ever tried Sam's cereal? I make alot of mushroom and spinach omelets. I have a couple recipes that I haven't tried yet, one is for pancakes and one for crepes ,both made with ricotta cheese. I will post these for you if your interested. Wanda

o

Fruit and cheese?

A pork chop or chicken

o

Wanda,
I would love the recipe for the mushroom and spinach omelet. I have never made omelets, but that sounds delicious. I have been trying to eat a lot of spinach.
Thanks,
Faye

o

I make a couple of pretty good omelets. I don't like eggs too much, so I use a LOT of other stuff so I can't taste the eggs.

MD-style crab omelet
olive oil
1/4 cup chopped broccoli florets (fresh or frozen)
1/2 cup frozen leaf spinach
1/4 cup sliced mushrooms
butter
1/4 cup crab meat
2 eggs
Old Bay seasoning
Shredded cheddar cheese

In a large skillet, heat enough olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan. Add the broccoli and saute until almost cooked. Add the spinach and mushrooms and saute until heated through.
Crack the eggs in a bowl. Add the crab meat and Old Bay to taste. Mix up well.
Heat a good tablespoon of butter (or margarine) in an omelet pan or 8 inch skillet until the butter is bubbly. Pour in the egg mixture. Immediately begin shaking the skillet every 3 seconds so the eggs don't stick to the pan. Keep that up until almost all the eggs have set. Slide the eggs onto a plate. Add the broccoli mixture and top with the cheese to taste. The hot veggies will finish cooking the top of the omelet, so don't worry about it being runny.

I call the other omelet a taco omelet. I make taco filling according to the package directions on one of those seasoning packets, but I add a can of rinsed and drained black beans and 2 crumbled portabello burgers. This makes quite a bit of filling- enough for DH and I to have taco salads one night and a couple of my omelets.
I just use the filling as-is. When I make the eggs, I add some cumin and paprika to them before I cook them. Then just heat the filling and add cheese.

I'm going to try an omelet with spinach, mushrooms, and asparagus and cheddar cheese next.

Some other things I like are veggie sausage patties with cheese (you see a theme going here?), andouille chicken sausage, portabello burgers. I don't eat pork, so that limits my choices a bit. DH likes the microwavable bacon strips. We found some low-carb bread that is pretty good, so on most mornings I can even get some toast. I've also eaten burgers (both turkey and beef), leftover fish, etc. I'm not a huge fan of breakfast, not liking eggs and pork, so I just don't limit myself to breakfast foods.

o

Faye, I really don't have an omelet recipe. There are alot of different ways to make an omelet. You can do it like Meghane posted above. I make mine like I have seen done while eating out. I take a small saute pan, spray with pam, then saute whatever you want in your omelet.( It can be diced onions,greenpeppers, leftover brocolli, chopped fresh spinach, mushrooms, black olives, diced tomatoe, diced ham or bacon).
Then I take two eggs,beat, pour over the sauteed veggies, let it set a little, while lifting the side of the omelet, and letting liquid run under the all the sides. When set, I fold each side to the middle, flip it over, put shredded cheese on top, and slide into plate, ( I like to put taco sauce on top of mine). Eat and enjoy. Wanda

o

Thanks for posting the recipes. They sound delicious--I hadn't thought of omelets. They would be great for supper too. I am definitely going to try them -- I have a new nonstick skillet that will be perfect.

Faye

o

I ran out of spinach and broccoli earlier this week and just scrambled my crab meat and Old Bay in with my eggs, then added cheese. It tasted pretty good and didn't take as long to cook and clean up since I only used one pan.

Some other things I've been eating are MorningStar Farms vegetarian breakfast patties (I don't eat pork). But if you like sausage, a couple of patties or links and a slice of low-carb bread is good. I like cheese (OK, I LOVE cheese) so I add shredded cheddar cheese to my patties.

A couple of days ago I made a grilled cheese sandwhich (low-carb bread) and added a portabello mushroom burger. Just cook the burger first. I'm going to make another for lunch today with a regular beef burger. I've also added sauted mushrooms and deli meats to grilled cheese to keep things interesting.

I'm not a huge fan of breakfast foods, so sometimes I just eat dinner leftovers.

o

Meghane has the right idea - don't limit yourself to so-called breakfast food. Have some leftover chicken or steak, or maybe a hamburger. Thaw some frozen shrimp while you're dressing. In a pinch, I'll get a plain fast-food hamburger and remove half of the bun.

A bean burrito at Taco Bell is cheap and full of protein. Add some cheese or drink a glass of milk.

Nuts are also good - have a yoghurt and some cashews. Plus, you get the good cholesterol.

o

Egg whites, diet cereal with skim milk, whole grain Toast

Here is a link that might be useful: Diet Breakfast Food

o

Scrambled egg whites with scallions, tofu, some chopped tomato and/or some mushrooms -- then add chopped parsley. Unless you have to avoid saturated fats, you can safely add egg yolks once or twice a week. Low fat high protein choices such ad smoked salmon, ham, or boneless/skinless chicken breast can go with the eggs.

If you're really intent on cutting out carbs, get a paperback book that lists the carbs contents in foods. Otherwise, you might be eating more than you think.

o

I think scrambled egg whites with tofu scallions etc is a good lo carb meal. you can add some egg yolk occasionally unless your doctor says no. Frozen veggie burgers are a good option. I like the MORGINGSTAR brand -- they have a nice variety of flavors, but there are other brands. Just check the label to make sure you're getting lo carbs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Exercise & Nutrition Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here