Return to the Exercise & Nutrition Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'Curves' question

Posted by bigack (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 21, 03 at 21:54

Hi everyone, I'm reading a lot of good stuff about curves. I'm 60, out of shape, and have lower back and leg problems, but I'm not totally down and out, and am wondering if I'd be able to do the exercises. Can you tell me about some of them??? thanks so much, Susan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'Curves' question

Susan, you can do anything as long as you do it at your own pace and comfort zone. That's one of the great things about Curves. Once you learn how to use each machine (proper form, posture, etc.), you then use them at your own pace. At Curves, you don't keep up with anyone else. You are on each station for only 30 seconds and you move to the next one when the time is up no matter how many reps you do on a machine.

I have a low back problem too so I practice good posture on each machine, keeping my back and neck straight. Of course, each back problem is different. If you're talking about a slipped disk, that's a whole 'nother thing that needs a doctor's attention.

Curves is designed for women of all ages, shapes and sizes. At mine, there are some elderly women who move slowly but they are there, doing it at their own pace.

At most (or all?) Curves gyms, you are allowed to try the workout for free (one day or one week, it depends on the gym and the current offer). Why not go in and see if you can do that. You might want to try a time that's more quiet, less crowded than others -- ask them and they will suggest a time if that's important to you.

You won't believe how much stronger you will feel in a few months, or less than that. It's amazing.

Jen

o

I started off at Curves with a bad knee and limited in my activites because of it. I hadn't been able to go up and down stairs normally for several years. I had to keep the knee straight. I am able now to squat and bend my knee. I step up and down and bend my knee like anybody else does. I've lost weight and inches beyond my expectations and I feel great and look like a different person. I highly recommend Curves, but you'd probably be more comfortable trying it out first. I hope it works for you.

o

Does anyone know if you can use your membership at any Curves? There's one near work and I would use that on weekdays, but would prefer to use one close to home on weekends. I keep hearing great things about this simple approach to exercise. As soon as daylight savings ends, I will join. Right now, I want to rush home to be outside in the garden as much as possible.

o

There are visitor passes available for times when members are traveling. I don't believe there is a limit. You may be able to work something out with your locations. I'm sure if you join you will enjoy feeling better. I hope it works out for you.

o
visitor passes

I asked at my center and was told that visitor passes are issued for a month's time. You can register at one center and use the pass on weekends at another. You just have to do it month by month.

o

Thanks. Another one opened closer to me -- hurray.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Exercise & Nutrition Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here