Return to the Exercise & Nutrition Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What anti-inflammatory do you use?

Posted by Lucky (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 17, 02 at 19:50

I was recently told by my Sports Doctor that I could take anti-inflammatories after my long runs (I'm training with a personal trainer for the Honolulu Marathon.), and I was wondering what anti-inflammatory you all use and why. I'm sort of caught between naproxen (aleve) and ibuprofen (advil). I get these aches in my left knee after my long runs and have tried both, but am unsure which one works better for me. I do know that the naproxen seems to work better for my headaches over the ibuprofen, so that makes me lean towards naproxen, but I'm unsure... Help!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What anti-inflammatory do you use?

Hi Lucky How is that trainer of yours doing:):)?
I was told to use Celebrex ////they say it is easy on the liver...I have not used it much //sorry I can't tell you more.Maybe try a search..Oh ya good luck in the marathon.Sounds like you are doing great.

o

fangdangle

Hey there. It's me "Lucky", but I actually decided to change my nickname to another one of my nicknames that I go by. Long story... Anyway...

To make a long story short, I'm with a new trainer now and he's just as hot. Whooo! And I'm actually dating this one... The other one I just played with a little. (Grin) My old trainer left to follow his dream to be an actor. (Don't fall for those striving actors people! Ha!) It's good that he did though because in the end I've met a much better guy. (Grin) Anyway...

I just went back to my Sports Doc and he prescribed me Celebrex, which did not work even on my short run day. I could feel shin splints and other pain coming on soon into my run. Ugh. I have the 200 mg capsules and was told to take one twice a day. So for my long run today I still took mega advil, which totally helped. I don't know what to do... I know that celebrex is better for me, but it just doesn't cut it for the pain. I guess I need a pain killer? I don't know... Help!?

o

Nike...Must be nice to have your own trainer(chuckle).
Good luck with finding the right meds,but maybe the body is trying to tell you to slow down if only for little while.

o

Note that for ibuprofen to work, you need to take at least 400MG or 600, which equates to 2 or 3 tabs. (A certain minimum blood threshold must be reached.) I always take 3 for any kind of inflammation or headache problem and for me, it is the best. Also, FYI, the Rx strength is 800MG. The main thing to watch w ibuprofen is to not take it on an empty stomach - it is really tough on the lining of your stomach.

T2

o

Lucky -
If you are in pain your body is trying to tell you something, and I think it's saying "The knees don't want to do the Marathon!"

If you insist on not listening to your body parts, take it BEFORE the run. It's easier to minimize problems than fix them after they are under way.

Try both and see which works. Also, Arnica rubs can help, as do sports linaments and cremes.

o

I agree with Lazygardens, though I'm just a 3-4x a week exerciser - I always take Advil before the workout, and rarely hurt too much afterwards. Which is saying a lot!

o

My mom's going to be on celebrex for the rest of her life, since she refuses to exercise...

I have a scrip for vioxx in case my back flares up, but the pain in my knees and ankles is from years of abuse, and I have found that stretching frequently (3x/day) helped...

but I'm one of the people for whom the chondriton/glucosamine and Calcium/Magnesium supplements have proved a miracle cure...and I think I was 7 when I first tore up my ankles!

I can go about two weeks without the suplements before my joints start muttering at me, and it takes about 3 days for them to shut up again, but then I can cut back to one dose every other day, and it's been working fine...

but I also bike instead of run, which puts far less stress on my knees.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Exercise & Nutrition Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here