Return to the Exercise & Nutrition Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gaining wait with Menopause

Posted by HurricaneMenopause (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 19, 02 at 18:05

I have had a hard time with menopause....I have gained weight and can't seem to get it off.....a girlfriend told me about this all natural product called New Life Formula. I was wondering if anyone else out there has heard of this product. SHe has been taking it for 5 years and swears by it.......

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gaining weight with Menopause

If anyone out there could help me out with some information about this product, if they are on it or know anyone on it that would be great. I know the web page is new life formula . com

o
RE: Gaining wait with Menopause

You must be having a tough time. My thoughts are with you.

Your best bet is to take the ingredient list to your doctor and ask him/her for advice.

A quick search of a couple of the ingredients reveals some cautions.

Ingredient list of this supplement:
Licorice Root, Red Raspberry Leaves, Sarsaparilla Root, Scullcap, Siberian Ginseng, Angelica Root, Nettles, Red Clover Blossoms, Wild Yam Root Extract, Lemon Balm, Black Cohosh Root Extract, Blessed Thistle, Dong Quai Root, Yellow Dock Root, Vitex and Chaste Tree Berry Extract.

Some examples of cautions published on the above ingredients.

Licorice Root Cautions:
Do not take Licorice if you have chronic hepatitis, cirrhosis of the liver, or any disease that impedes the flow of bile from the liver. Avoid it also if you have abnormal muscle tension, poor kidney function, or low potassium levels in your blood.

Special Cautions
At recommended dosage levels, Licorice is unlikely to produce any side effects. However, when taken in high dosages (above 2 ounces per day) for an extended period of time, it will lead to excessive loss of salt from the blood, water retention, high blood pressure, and heart irregularities. Because of the possibility of these side effects, limit use of Licorice preparations to 6 weeks. The side effects disappear after the drug is discontinued.
Possible Drug Interactions
Licorice can increase the potassium loss caused by the other drugs, such as diuretics that flush excess water from the body (Diuril, Zaroxolyn, others). This potassium loss can, in turn, increase your sensitivity to drugs containing digitalis, such as the heart medication Lanoxin.
Licorice may also increase the effects--and unwanted side effects--of steroid medications such as prednisone (Deltasone).

Dong Quai Root, Special Cautions
If you are suffering from diarrhea or bloating, check with your doctor before using Dong Quai. Remember, too, that Dong Quai sometimes increases sensitivity to sunlight, particularly if you are fair-skinned. To avoid a sunburn when using this herb on an extended basis, limit your exposure to the sun.

Vitex, Special Cautions
See your doctor for a diagnosis. Don't rely on Vitex alone. Skin rash is a potential side effect of Vitex.
Possible Drug Interactions
Vitex may interfere with the action of the digestive stimulant Reglan, as well as certain major tranquilizers, including Haldol, Prolixin, and Thorazine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Exercise & Nutrition Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here