Return to the Exercise & Nutrition Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My exercise

Posted by jannie (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 24, 08 at 17:42

About 35 years ago, I took a gym class that was taught by a very good gym teacher. She is still teaching (but at a different college) so I won't share her name. But the plan was this- walk in two chunks of ten minutes, surrounded by three sets of exercise . Your total "circuit" should take under 40 minutes, but keep moving. You choose the exercises-push ups, squat thrusts, jumping jacks, whatever you like. The key is to do short burst of movement broken up by periods of walking/running/jogging. Sound good to you?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My exercise

I don't know if it is good or not, but it sounds a little like a Curves workout, aerobic exercise alternating with strength-building.

o

Moving fast gets the heart pumping which is good for cardiovascular fitness. Any kind of lifting strengthens the bones and muscles, and adds to the cardiovascular fitness as well. But the third element which you do not mention involves flexibility. You need first to warm up, by doing some LIGHT exercise for a few minutes just to limber up. Then you need to stretch to give you flexibility. Then you can go into the routine that you described. And again at the end, you need to stretch so that you cool down and maximize your flexibility.

Without the stretching, you risk injury. Get a good fitness book to learn how to stretch safely.

o

As a long-time runner (although much slower as I age), I religiously did my stretching before and after my runs as well as my other exercises. Imagine my utter shock when I recently started reading some articles that basically said that the stretching is (or could be) harmful! I used to stretch exactly as haus proud describes. I'll try to dig up some links to the recent studies and post them later.

o

Can't say, I was also fond of running in the early morning I felt pain in various part of my body. Now a days I am doing Yoga, it gives better result than running or another heavy physical exercise, yoga exercises the whole body rather than building strength in some areas at the expense of others.

o

Only yoga can be done by all age groups and gives the better results. Regular practice can enable young people to keep their natural flexibility for many years. Older people often do the gentle yoga exercises allow them to maintain mobility and relieve many problems such as arthritis and poor blood circulation.

Here is a link that might be useful: How can yoga help you

o

Now a days yoga is being practiced my many people due its long term impact on our body and mind.

Muscle Tone: by practicing Yoga, it will make your muscle tone better.

Flexibility & Awareness: your body will become more flexible, it will increase your reflect a lot and you will be able to do a lot of posture without having any difficulties.

Cleansing your internal organs: It helps you cleaning various vermin that reside in your organs. For example, it will help your body to process the food you eat more effectively.

Stress: It make your mind peaceful that will help you to decrease your stress greatly.

Blood Pressure: Yoga will make your blood pressure more stable, it could decrease your blood pressure if it is high.

Here is a link that might be useful: Yoga for better health

o

Try to start yoga practice every day instead of running, jogging etc. Feel the wonderful experience after yoga exercises. It improves posture, increases the intake of oxygen, and enhances the functioning of the respiratory, digestive, endocrine, reproductive, and elimination systems. don't try to run a mile, try finding a once-a-week yoga class.

Here is a link that might be useful: Benefits of yoga

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Exercise & Nutrition Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here