Return to the Exercise & Nutrition Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Creeping weight gain

Posted by cheerful1 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 24, 05 at 11:19

I just turned 50, and the pounds are starting to catch up to me. I'm 5'3", 126 pounds. Am in menopause, but I know that's not the only reason I'm gaining. Didn't take the need to lose weight seriously. I do now. Any suggestions on how to start?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Creeping weight gain

Oh the pounds do catch up, don't they!? I've put on a pound a year since we have been married. I liked a doctor's suggestion of a diet: "eat half." In other words, cut the quantity down.

Good luck.

o

Seriously, you don't need to lose much weight! How about just doing a little more exercize.

o

Heather is right! I long for the days when I carried 126 lbs.

o

I'm working on portion control, plus moderate exercise. I don't expect miracles, just hoping for gradual weight loss and better muscle tone.

o

walk away the pounds by Leslie Sansone has been good for me to help keep a routine of regular exercise each day, which i am able to find time to do in the evenings. I have not found the pounds jumping off my body but i do see a muscle toning affect of the exercise. I am 54 and had a hysterectomy 5 years ago, so I had no choice but to find something that worked for me for motivation.

o

I had the same problem and went to the library and checked out a bunch of diet books. (I love reading diet books while I'm eating my cake!) I really liked the South Beach Diet and the ones by Suzanne Somers. I ended up getting all the SS books because the recipes were just so great. I lost 15 pounds and my husband lost 45!

Good luck with it!

o

Talk about creeping weight gain. I am 5"1" and once weighed 92lbs. Yeah,I know that was underweight. But I am now 134, up 8 lb in the lasy year and four in just the last month. I love to cook and eat. Everything tastes good to me lately. I am thinking of joining Curves.

o

Portion control and exercise!

Sheryl

o

Start a exercise program of anything as simple as walking but please do not fall for false promises of herbs or drugs to lose weight.it simply does BOT work that way and is harmful for you.Real advice and free!

o

Gimmicks are a waste of time and can be very bad for you. Instead....

As we age we have somewhat less energy. Check to see if you have begun to rely on processed foods more now. That goes for canned/boxed/mixed things. White bread, refind, enriched...blah blah blah...eat whole foods with good whole grain breads and pastas.

Sounds too easy right? It is that easy. Eat the way nature intended and you will be able to control your weight. I have a teenage daughter who lost 50 pounds not by dieting, not by exercising (although she walks everyday, not too far) but by me taking away ALL processed foods from her. She has learned to enjoy the simplistic way of controlling her weight. Before I got pregnant I lost 30 pounds this same way!

The website below will help you get started. I have been feeding my family this way for a year now and this past winter was the first one we never got sick in!!! Not one cold, no flu, nothing. It's soo much better for you!

Note about the website, I have to watch my salt intake so recipes that call for low sodium soy sauce need to be watched.

Best of luck,

Keilamarie

Here is a link that might be useful: World's Healthiest Foods

o

Simple. Eat less and/or excercise more.

o

I'm not so sure about the fruit juices recommendation in a previous posting. They contain a lot of sugar. Better to eat fruit, becuae it takes longer to ingest and contains fiber and fills you up more.

A few other recommendations:
-Get used to whole grains -- bread, pasta and rice. They have improved them so they are easy to prepare and are very tasty. They are more filling and satisfying that refined products.
- If you eat a lot of processed food, start reading the labels. If there are more than 4 or 5 ingredients, don't eat it.
- Try ot avoid or cut down on sugar. Get a cheap paperback that lists the sugar content in all foods. You'll be surprised. Sugar is all over the place.
- Stay away from butter and whole milk products. Use skim milk, or low fat milk. If you like cheese, eat it in moderation, and try to select hard cheese, because harder ones have less fat. Try to use only fats that are liquid at room temperature, like olive oil, canola oil, corn oil. Your heart and arteries will thank you.
- Eat white meat of chicken, and avoid the skin, which is nearly all fat. Lean cuts of beef and pork are okay, as well as nearly all fish.
- Eat lots of fresh fruits and vegetables.

If you have good, healthful eating habits, and you exercise regularly, the weight will take care of itself.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Exercise & Nutrition Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here