Return to the Exercise & Nutrition Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Exercising late at night

Posted by superbee (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 14, 03 at 0:25

Hi, all -

I am new to the forum and was amazed at the amount of exercise many of you do everyday. I am the mother of a 17 month old and often don't get time to workout during the day. The best time for me is after dinner at about 9:30 PM when DS goes to sleep and I am done with cleaning up the kitchen. I was wondering if it is okay to do about half an hour on the treadmill (I will only be walking, not even jogging) at that time of the night. Honestly, I find it so hard to squeeze in half an hour at any other time of the day and DS is going through a stage of separation anxiety which I hope will pass soon so I can leave him with someone while I exercise.

Superbee

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Exercising late at night

I can't exercise that late because I get a burst of energy afterwards and then I would be up until 2 a.m.! But then, I had a friend who used to go to the gym every night at 9:00 and that worked for him. I guess what it boils down to is getting some exercise, no matter the time, is better than nothing at all. I guess all you can do is try it one night and see what happens...who knows, it might make you sleep like a baby! Good luck to you!

o

Thank you Kathy. I am going to try that tonight. I just wanted to know if I would be the only one on the treadmill at 9:30 PM or if there are others in the world who do it too LOL

o

I sometimes ride my exercise bike late at night while watching TV. I still sleep fine.

o

"was wondering if it is okay to do about half an hour on the treadmill (I will only be walking, not even jogging) at that time of the night."

Sure. Better then than never, and if it fits your schedule, do it. Some people find they are "wound up" after exercise. I find that I sleep like a rock.

o

Thanks everybody. I have done two days of exercising late at night and so far so good :) Thanks so much for the encouragement. Now to keep it up!!!

Superbee

o

Superbee, why don't you come to the walk away the pounds post and join us. We just post our progress each day on whatever we are doing. We help motivate each other. Wanda

o

Does your son like to ride in a stroller? Is he small enough for one of those baby back pack carriers? Child seat on a bike?

o

Yes, take your son in a stroller. He would love it. Hope I don't offend anyone here, but it irks me to see people jogging in the street with a child or even two in the stroller. I think it is dangerous, and I don't think the young ones are enjoying it or are comfortable.

o

Hi, New to posting and trying to lose about 20lbs. I'm not overwieght, just underfit!! I alway exercise on the treadmill late at night; anywhere from 9:30 to 10pm, for an hour. I do 2 miles on the tredmill and then machines and or free weights. I also sleep like a rock. With 2 kids on school I can't get up early enough to help them get redy in the morning!! where is the "Walk away the Pounds" thread? Thanks

Nancy

o

Another late-night exerciser here.... I work out a few times a week at the local gym or swim at their indoor pool, which is open until 10:30pm. Or around midnight I'll jog, sometimes with a partner, on a great nearby jogging path that surrounds and criss-crosses a river stream, yielding a stimulating view (and wonderful scents in some conditions). A shower afterwards, and I'll be at my most clean and fresh just before bedtime. I didn't workout last night, and look who's still awake at 6 in the morning.... Without a late-night workout of some sort, I have too much pent-up energy to feel restful.

o

We work out late too. Dog walks at 9pm, weightlifting for an hour at 8:30. Once you get used to it, your body adapts. And it seems to help me sleep.

o

Hey there! When I used to go to the gym, it would be at 9 pm. I'd do the treadmill for 45 minutes. I would sleep great every time I went to the gym. Well... after I got back home anyway. Drift right off, sleep deeply, and wake up refreshed. The nights I didn't go to the gym, I would have to take sleeping pills just to sleep. Hope it works out for you :O)

o

I used to exercise late at night too. Because it WOULD give me a boost of engery. Hey i was 19 and wanted to go out after. hehe. Though if i tried to fall asleep about 2 or 3 hours later i could easily fall asleep.

They reason why you couldnt fall asleep is because you raised your body temp. And since as you get ready to fall asleep you temp drops. Exercising slows this down thought since you temp has to drop more for sleep you will sleep better if you excise about 2 - 4 hours before bed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Exercise & Nutrition Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here