Return to the Exercise & Nutrition Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dark/milk chocolate

Posted by karalk (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 27, 06 at 20:35

Does it make that much difference, healthwise? It would really help me to justify my huge daily intake of this perfect food! LOL

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dark/milk chocolate

I think I've heard that the dark has more beneficial components in it.

o

Milk chicolate is not really chocolate, it is milk, sugar and cocoa mixed with a lot of other garbage. For chocolate to be real, it should be dark chocolate with about 70% cocoa content. A good brand is Green and Black's Organic dark chocolate.
Donna

o

However, it's still not a health food and is just empty calories.

o

smiley_1 is right. It is empty calories, however, in small quantities, high quality DARK chocolate, (70% and up) is a considered a health food. Chocolate contains polyphenols, the same kinds of antioxidants found in red wine and green tea; stearic acid, a type of fat that doesn't raise cholesterol levels; and flavonoids, which reduce the stickiness of platelets, inhibiting blood clotting and reducing the danger of coronary artery blockages. Make sure you buy good quality dark chocolate, which is rich and satisfying not loaded with sugar. Imported brands are the best, however domestic brands containing 70% and up are good as well, and limit yourself to an ounce several times a week. I find when I crave something chocolate, by indulging in the good kind, letting it melt in my mouth, I satisfy that craving and can keep you from eating chocolate cookies, cakes, ice cream that only contain trace amounts of cocoa and have other things that are really not good for you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Exercise & Nutrition Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here