SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
awm03

heart rate monitor/calorie counter watch anybody?

awm03
16 years ago

I posted this in the Diet forum last week, but probably should have posted it here.

Does anybody use a heart rate monitor watch that computes your calories burned during exercise? I just bought one, and I think it's going to be very useful (provided it doesn't fizzle out on me -- the quality of these watches seems to vary).

I've been checking the intensity of my various exercises, and it's been illuminating. In 2 hours of biking my heart rate varies between 80 to 162 bpm, and most of the time it's in the 120-140 bpm range. I burned 1000 calories. And my step aerobics videos, the Gin Miller one gets my heart rate to 150-160 bpm & keeps it there for a calorie burn of 490, the Cathe Friedrich one ranges from 135 to 166 for a calorie burn of 390.

The watch, a Mio Shape Select, is easier to use than my old Timex Ironman (which had no heart rate or calorie features) in that the buttons are larger & easier to push, and the mode selection & setting is a little easier to remember or figure out. The old Timex had a louder alarm, though, which was a feature I used periodically. The Mio alarm is just too quiet to be of any use. Also, the Mio chronograph feature, necessary for computing calories burned, only counts down from 99 minutes, so for long bike rides or hikes, you have to stop, reset, and remember your stats from the first measuring. The best thing about the watch is that it's wireless -- no chest strap!

Anyway, not trying to plug a product or anything. Just wondered if anybody else used these & liked them.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor