Return to the Exercise & Nutrition Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Working out at the gym or at home?

Posted by margauxgaux (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 15, 08 at 17:09

Which do you guys prefer? Working out at home, or working out at the gym? It used to be that I'd rather work out at a gym because the fact that I'm paying a membership is motivating enough for me to get off my butt and work out. However, after a few years, I started to care less and less. Lol. So I quit my membership and I've been working out at home. I've been working out with my boyfriend (following this 3-month program), so we were able to motivate each other. Then he hurt his ankle and wasn't able to work out and I couldn't either! I got unmotivated. I am soo horrible! NOw I think that I need to have a gym membership again so I'll be motivated again.

What about you guys?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Working out at the gym or at home?

at the gym - well prefer really doesn't come into it. At the gym I do the work. At home, even with the best of intentions, I always find something else I should do instead or if I do get started I stop much sooner then at the gym.

o

I have to be at a gym or in some sort of organized program, otherwise I just don't do a good job of it. Could you join a different gym or program than you were on before? Yeah, money motivates me too. If I paid, I'm GOING!

o

Definitely at home. I love the convenience factor -- it takes too much time to go to the gym, change clothes, shower there, and drive back. Whereas now, I can come home from work, quickly throw on something grungy and just walk down the hall to the extra bedroom where our exercise equipment is. Also, I get to pick what is on the TV, and I don't have to worry about strange people staring at me -- feeling self-conscious is one of the major reasons that I wouldn't want to go to a gym!

o

Hello! When I'm grunting,making gross faces and sweating,I dont really like other people watching me,LOL.So I prefer working out at home.
I have a huge collection of dvds,a yoga mat,a balance ball,3-15 pound weights,plenty of towels,water and can wear whatever I want without worrying how I look in it!Then when I'm done I can go straight to the shower.
And these days,I'm saving gas not having to drive anywhere.

o

I definitely prefer to work out at the gym. I have to leave my comfort zone in order to get a really good work out routine in. I have tried working out at home before but I never push myself as hard or for as long as I normally would. I also really enjoy adding variety to my exercise and my gym offers me all kinds of different exercise and aerobic classes.

o

I prefer the gym. I find it motivating seeing other people working out as well, it's usually the same familar faces in the gym. I also like the fact I can use different machines and the treadmills are of a high quality and I do not have to fix the equipment. Our gym charges like 19.95 a month with no contract. Do whatever makes you the most comfortable just as long as you are getting your required amount of exercise to keep you healthy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Exercise & Nutrition Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here