Return to the Exercise & Nutrition Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
book recommendation?

Posted by whispery (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 30, 03 at 16:39

hi y'all-

i want to do some strengthening. but i am a fitness reject. i have no idea what exercises to do. so i'm wondering if anyone can reccomend a book that would be a good reference. i would like it to list many exercises and name the muscles they work on. i particularly want to strengthen my back, but i want a book that covers more than just my back.

help?

thanks,
kim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: book recommendation?

It's been a long time since I've looked at an exercise book....use tapes now. I remember I used to have a book by Joyce Vedral that was very good. Hope it helps!

o

Abdominal exercises are crucial for strengthening the back, so look into that as well.

Good luck!

o

Kim -
Start by walking. Lots of walking.

The best way to protect your back is to have strong abdominal muscles. Look for books on "back fitness" and they should have plenty of exercise.

o

Hi Kim,

I know you asked about a book recommendation, but I'd also like to recommend the website noted below.

Don't be fooled by the first page -- lots of great information, including using weights, which really helps the back muscles.

Here is a link that might be useful: Krista Smash!

o

I've been everything from a rugby player and weight-lifter to an all-day hiker to a total slug...and had gone totally slack when I was in a car accident, and tore two discs...

two years later, I have to say that the BEST help I got were from the book and videos by a cat named Rodney Yee... he makes yoga make sense, and 'yoga for strength' would win the approval of Charles Atlas for its isometric work...

I work with a yoga ball, a staff, some straps, and a few light weights- the heaviest thing I have is 10 pounds, and that plus my body weight is PLENTY...

and not only is my doctor thrilled with my recovery- but I can now do things I couldn't do as a teen- like proper pushups.

o

"Strong Women Stay Young" by Miriam Nelson. Also "Strong Women Stay Slim" and "Strong Women Strong Bones". All have pretty much the same exercises. I haven't lost any weight (haven' really tried) but boy do I feel better when I'm doing these.

WW

Here is a link that might be useful: Strong Women Stay Young

o

I agree, WeedWoman. I bought the first book last year and gradually bought the weights I needed to start with. I'd intended to get fit for my class reunion last summer. However, all I did then was get ready to exercise! LOL This year I have actually started using those weights. What I like about her program is it is for fitness at any age, not for bulking up. Her program was tested on older folks first, and is not so strenuous it's likely to hurt you. It starts out small and works up.
Hope this helps - Lynn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Exercise & Nutrition Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here