Return to the Exercise & Nutrition Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What are Net Carbs?

Posted by stephmc72 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 5, 03 at 22:51

and how do they differ from just regular carbs? I'm trying really hard to watch my carbohydrate intake so I'm paying close attention to labels. I see on some labels it talks about Net carbs, which are usually considerably lower than just your regular carb grams. It looks like they subtract the sugar and fiber from the carb to come up with the net carb.

Can anyone explain what a net carb is, how it's came about, if it's applicable on all foods and if this is the grams I should be figuring??? I'm so confused.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What are Net Carbs?

Net carbs are the ones you are trying to limit. It is the total carbs minus the fiber and other sweetners that do not affect blood sugar levels. If a label does not indicate the net carb count, just take the total carbs and subtract the fiber for a pretty good estimate.

Basically the net carb count came about because although fiber is technically a carbohydrate, it doesn't affect blood sugar levels and in fact it is very good for you. So the health people figured that they could encourage people to eat more fiber if it didn't count against them in a low-carb diet. Pretty clever of them. Then they invented all these artificial sweetners that also do not affect blood sugar levels. Not all foods have these sweetners in them, usually foods made specifically for low-carb diets, so these types of foods are the only ones that list a net carb count.

I hope this helps a bit.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Exercise & Nutrition Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here