Return to the Exercise & Nutrition Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Substitute for crunches

Posted by shambo (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 20, 05 at 20:06

I was doing crunches faithfully until about a month ago when I was struck with a severe episode of vertigo. I'm over the worst, but I still get dizzy if I move my head strangely (lying down on the bed at night, swishing my hair out of my eyes, etc.) I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion for some sort of excercise that could substitue for crunches and that wouldn't involve moving my head around. Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Substitute for crunches

Lie down on your back, with your head resting on the floor.

Lift your legs (straight) slowly as high as you can. Lower them(straight) also slowly.

I suggest that you get a Pilates book or tape (Brooke Siler's "The Pilates Body: The Ultimate At-Home Guide to Strengthening, Lengthening, and Toning Your Body--Without Machines" and/or "Pilates for Dummies" VHS or DVD)

Do ONLY the exercise that DO NOT require lifting your head. You can do the exercises that require lifting your head in a modified form -- do them WITHOUT lifting your head.

Pilates will work your core like no other exercises.

Also, whenever you get up, keep your chin to your chest (head lowered) and sloooowwwwwly raise your head after you've gotten up.

Finally, see a doctor to make sure that nothing serious is wrong.

o

Thanks for the helpful advice. I have seen my doctor and am doing special exercises to resolve the inner ear problem and taking medication when necessary.

o

Shambo,

I had the same vertigo inner ear thing. I remember full well how de-habilitating (spelling?) and frightening the experience was. For me it came on suddenly one morning and hung around for about a week. If I turned my head, even slightly to the right, the room would start to spin. I think mine was the result of swimming and getting an ear full of lake water. Anyway, I stayed off of milk products (they aggrivated the issue) and was taking Meclizine (motion sickness) to treat it.

At that time I had to stop the crunches because even laying on my back for a few moments would bring on a spell of vertigo. A friend of mine, who is a yoga instructor, showed me a way to strengthen without laying down. I stood up, lifting arms gently up and pulling the stomach muscles tightly in while using my breath to expell air, holding this for a few seconds (as long as you can), then inhaling and releasing the muscles. I did this over and over until I felt the muscles were getting the workout they needed. I never realized how yoga can give you a work out without making you breathless and grunting. I actually got sore from this because it was working muscles that the crunches were not addressing, plus it was mentally very therapeutic. I also tightened the buttocks while doing this which gives those muscles a work out simultaneously. I hope this works for you and that your inner ear issue resolve themselves.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Exercise & Nutrition Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here