Return to the Exercise & Nutrition Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone running?

Posted by
Heidi
(heidigreenlaw@hotmail.com) on
Mon, Jun 4, 01 at 12:43

I noticed that there was a thread like this a while back and hasn't been posted to in a while. Let's start a new one!

I'm doing the "couch to 5k" program at kicksport.com so I'm really a beginner but am really enjoying it so far. I've only done the treadmill so far because (1) I only seem to get to run at about 9 p.m. and (2) I think the neighbors would die if they saw me outside jogging!! LOL

I'd love to hear from others, beginners, experts and everyone in between. How are you doing? How long have you been running? How long before you saw phsyical changes in your body? Do you run on a treadmill, road? Do you run races or just for fun and exercise?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone running?

I too wanted to start running. I ran a lot during the summer...up to 45 min i was very proud of myself because before that i couldn't run more than 5-10 min without stopping.

Now i sort of do a mix between walking and running around my town...i take a walkman with me. To be honest i found a new way to keep focused. I have a treadmill on my third floor, and there's a VCR up there, so i put on an interesting "motivational" movie...whatever your favorite movie is put it in and keep your eyes on the screen. I know that's probably not a good thing to do but before i knew it i had been jogging for 15 min and i wasn't aware of fatigue. I didn't overdo myself though...be sure to listen to your body. I just think staying motivated with good music or something will keep you going.

I'm just getting back into the groove with my healthy eating and regular physical activity. I usually feel very refreshed after I run, although sometimes my shins hurt very much. I know diet has a ton to do with how you lose weight or shape your body...whatever your goal is. So keep it up and let me know if you come across anything that might be useful.
-Greta

o

Hey!
Glad to see someone started another "running" thread. I was doing great from Nov 1 to the end of Jan this year and then quit because of "stuff". I just started again the first of May and am determined to keep at it. I am back up to 35-40 minutes at about 3.5 mph. I run on my treadmill 90% of the time, with a run now and then outside. But I don't like the dogs, cars, etc. I am going to meet with a trainer later this week. He said I needed some 'goals'. ANYTHING to keep me going this time. I have about 20 lbs to lose and have so far lost about 6. I'm 46 (ok, closer to 47)and need to get/keep in shape.
Keep me posted on your progress, ladies!
Anna

o

I didn't run last night. My hips were aching - whether it was muscles from running or not I can't be sure, but I figured I'd take the night off. Looking forward to getting back on the mill tonight though. I'm still at the beginner stage, but hoping to keep this up and progress as my body will allow me. I'm 33 and would like to drop 10 lbs before geting pregnany with child #2 this fall. I figure jogging is a great way to do that and just overall get in better shape.
How's everyone else doing?

o

Anna, i don't like running outside either! i seem to get tired when i run outside rather than no my treadmill. how quickly have you lost the weight? what sort of diet are u using?

o

Well, my darn treadmill is broken so I ran outside today. I thought I was gonna die! For a beginner there's such a difference between running outside and on a treadmill. We will definitely either get the mill fixed or buy a new one. So, I didn't run very far. Gotta do some aerobics until we get the mill fixed - Goodness knows when it will be up and working again!

o

Heidi -

You're so right that running outside is so different than a treadmill. For about 2 years I ran religiously on a treadmill 3-4 times a week. I was up to about 5 miles at 6.0-6.5 mph. Then, I started running outside and I could barely run 2 miles! I've been sporadic about running the last year, but I'm getting back on track. I'm trying to build up my endurance for outdoor running. I generally run 1.5-2 miles and then alternate running and walking for another 1-1.5 miles. Now, if it would just stop raining I might be able to do work up to doing the whole distance without walking.

Good luck to all and let's keep this thread going!
Erin

o

I know! Treadmills are so different from outside. Is there a difference in how it effects your cardio training though?

o

Greta,
I am on a 1000 +/- calorie diet which my Dr. gave me. I really try to follow it as I desperately want to loose about 25 pounds. I have lost, since May 4, 6 lbs so far. I know that doesn't sound like much, but at my age, 46, it is an accomplishment for me. I met with a trainer today and am going to start running with their club at least once a week. I have other commitments on the other days they run, but he told me to run every other day. I ran 2 miles today and he said I'm doing very well. On the mill, I run at 3.5-4.0 mph, 5% incline (for the first 15 min and then slowly lower it to 0% incline for the next 15-20 minutes. I would rather run on the mill but being with a group will be great, too. They can ward off the dogs for me! LOL
Keep up the great work ladies! I'll check back soon.
Anna

o

My treadmill's fixed!! Woo Hoo!!! I used it last night and did 2.1 miles. What a wonderful feeling when I'm done. I have a good friend who's an avid runner (did the Boston Marathon last year) and he's completely against treadmills. Says they give you a false sense of doing well - it's a great place to start and get used to running, but the natural progression would be to run outside. So far I'm not with him! I love my treadmill. I don't plan on running to run marathons or races, so I'll just stick to my little treadmill in my basement! Lol

Anyway, how's everyone else doing?

o

Hey ladies, great to join you. I am a beginning runner too. I ran a couple of years ago on and off outdoors but have recently started again on my treadmill. I don't like running outside because I feel too conscience and goofy. I keep my treadmill in the bedroom by the window and I can enjoy the view from there. I am doing a run/walk combination of walk 5 minutes, run 15 minutes and walk 10 minutes. My counter has a short in it so I cannot tell how many miles that is or how fast I'm going. I really wish I could get that fixed but I have a feeling that I would have to replace the whole darn thing. Anyway, I want to lose about 10 lbs. and break a stall I'm hopping running will cure. I also have a small gut and heard that running will get rid of it better than crunches. My husband told me to run with a garbage bag aroung my waist (another reason not to run outdoors, lol!) and it seems to be doing o.k. He played football in college and he said some of the players ran with garbage bags around them I guess to sweat more and increase weightloss. I'm not real sure why, but I'm trying it. I run 3 days a week and weight lift 3 days as well. I am 25 yrs. old, 5'6", 150 lbs. and would love to be a tone 140 lbs. I have vowed to stay off the scale and I eat pretty healthy. I just have a problem with being patient and waititng for results. Good luck to everyone!

Ohiogirl

o

Hello Everyone!

I have been reading your posts and thought I'd better get in on this one (thanks Heidi)!

My FH and I started a jogging program in April. Initially we were outdoors but have since moved inside to treadmills, once allergies got in the way. We are now up to 3 miles, me at 5-5.5 mph and FH at 6.5 mph. Trying to get into my wedding gown is the long term goal for me (Sept. 29) and for both of us, it's just getting back into a healthy lifestyle.
Ohio Girl~You had mentioned the garbage bag... We bought neoprene waste belts, probably do the same thing as the bag, but maybe not as *crinkly*. We got ours at Target, for about $10. I have since purchased a pair of neoprene shorts, at Kmart $17... both are working very well. You are right about sweating more, it's a great way to lose excess water weight.

My best to all!
Nicola

o
Running thread

Hello Ladies!
Just checking in. I ran last night with the running club and did 3 miles!!! The trainer was very encouraging as were the others that ran with us. Totally there were about 30 runners, all levels. I am going again tomorrow night. They run through a neighborhood park, so there aren't any dogs and few cars. I can't believe the difference in the mill and outside. But I did enjoy the run.
I have used saran wrap around my waist and thighs before and you do sweat a lot more. I think I heard someplace that it is good for celulite, too. Don't think I'll be wearing the glad wrap on the outdoor runs tho!!
Keep up the good work!
Anna

o

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one using Glad products to run, lol! Just curious, are you guys running to lose weight or just maintain and be healthy? For those trying to lose, how is that going? Has anyone lost weight before by running, if so how much and how long did it take?

Ohiogirl

o

does running outdoors have a different affect on your cardio training than runnin on a treadmill? i seem to get tired a LOT faster....and i can't really explain this!

o

Good Morning!

Ohio Girl~Yes, I am running to lose weight. As of last night I am down 20lbs since we started our program (4/16). I ran in the past, way in the past, about 7-8 years ago and had wonderful success. That really is the reason I was willing to try it again. Back then I went from a *healthy* 10 to an 8, or even 6 in some cases, w/i two months!

I better get back to work, my best to all!
Nicola

o

I am also running to lose weight. Combined with a low calorie diet I have lost 6-7 pounds since 5/1. BUT, I have toned up my thighs a lot and my pot-gut is slowly shrinking. I would LOVE to get rid of it completely, however at 46+ and 3 kids, I doubt if I will. But just the tightening up feels great! I ran again tonight with the running club...did 3.5 miles!! Yea! Yes, I can tell the running outside is more tiring than on the treadmill and I don't know why either.
Best to all & keep on a runnin'!
Anna

o

Great job Nicola and Anna! Nicola, right now I am a *healthy* 10 as well, lol, and would love to be an 8 or 6. Anna, I too have a gut that I wish would go away. I'm trying not to measure or concentrate on it too much but you know how that is. My next run is tommorrow so hopefully I can begin to whittle away this waist. Good luck to all and great running.

Ohiogirl

o

Hello, all. I am in the same boat as many of you. I am *trying* to increase my endurance and getting frustrated by my lack of progress. I work out about 5 days a week but don't run every day, maybe twice. Maybe this is not enough, but the other days I EFX (love this thing) and bike and weight train. I totally agree with you all about the treadmill making running easier. I read that the treadmill does do a certain amount of propelling you along but I say so what?! I'm with Heidi though, if you're not gonna run outside (which I know I'm not going to often) why worry about it? I too have the small gut I can't get rid of. (age 25, no kids) and I'm convinced my stomach is just slightly convex and it's never changing. It hasn't been flat as a board since puberty, so I should just give it up. It's hard though, working out almost every day of the week and still not being confident enough for a belly-baring shirt! It might be just that though, lack of self confidence. I know darn well I've seen much bigger girls in half-shirts. ]
I'm intruiged by the Saran wrap thing, but I work out at a gym, so that might not be an option.

o

TO the girlz using the Glad wrap idea...

okay, i've heard that this is a myth! the things is, it DOES make you sweat, but you only lose fluid weight from your body....which you build back up later when you drink water. so this won't keep you slim forever!

o

hey everyone. I've been thinking about getting into running to help me lose weight. I usually need some instense aerobics to lose weight, and the TaeBo videos I used to use are getting way too easy. I want to use a treadmill, since it is too hot to run outside now and there are no sidewalks around the blocks I live near so it would probably be safer to use a treadmill. I'm curious though if I will burn the same amount of calories on a treadmill as if I was running outside? Does it make that much of differnce? If there is a differnce does anyone know how many calories are burned running on a treadmill vs. outside? Thanks!

o

I just moved and got my treadmill set up, finally! I started back this morning, and I did fine after the first 10 mins. I need to lose some on my thighs also, what exactly does the saran wrap do and how do you apply it? I also have a butt master, anyone familiar with this? I bought it at a garage sale, but I really don't know how to use it, thanks for the advice!

o

Greetings fellow runners!
Jen,
I have done both and I think running outside demands more than on a treadmill, but couldn't explain why. Maybe because you don't have to be so aware of placing your feet on the treadmill, you don't have to run around potholes, etc. I enjoy both.
Tonight went with the running club again and did 3.4 miles at about 6mph!! I didn't realize I was going that fast until we were done and the trainer told me. That is one reason I do like the treadmill as you can see the display! Maybe I need to get one of those pedometers...LOL
Keep up the good work ladies, and I'll check back in a few days.
Anna

o

Good Morning Everyone!

Anna~Congrats on your run! That's awesome! Keep up the good work.

Doing well here.. sticking with the treadmill. It's just too blasted hot for me to run outside. I do think that running outdoors is probably the best of the two choices. I have gotten used to the treadmill and am able to track my progress. The main thing, I think, to remember that we are getting exercise. There are so many people out there that don't and love to find an excuse not to(formerly me). Be proud, your doing something, not only for you, but for those that love you. Living a healthier lifestyle by eating right and exercise shows that we want to *stick around* for the people in our lives. So, good for us! Keep up it up!

*Nicola stepping off soapbox*

I'm still at three miles at 5 to 5.5 on the mill. My plan is to stay there for another week or so and then start pushing to the next level towards the 5 mile marker. I've added weight training every other day, I hit a plateau in my weight loss and trying to boost/trick my body back into losing. I think it's working, finally saw a change in the scale this a.m., which I have not seen in over two weeks!

Any suggestions, best plan of execution here (to get to that next level)?

Thanks All! Have a great day!!
Nicola :0)

o

Hey everyone -

I've been really bad the past few weeks about getting out there and running. I've been busy... bad excuse and the weather has been pretty bad too. This week I ran Monday evening and haven't since. I have a date with myself on Saturday morning to run no matter what. If the weather is bad, I'll go to the gym and run on the track or the treadmill. I will do it... I will do it... I will do it... I hope! I always feel so much better after I exercise. I'm trying to lose the 10 pounds I've gained since my wedding last Sept. so that I can fit into my clothes again!

Good luck to all and happy running!
Erin

o

I've been running religiously for the past 9 years. I can recall when I started, it was real difficult to stay motivated to continue. Then after a few weeks of struggling, something happened. I actually began to like it. Pretty soon, I couldn't wait to get home from work and run. If I mised a day, I could feel my body tell me, get out there and do it. I would run whether I was sick with flu, whatever. Last week I broke my toe in a home accident. Nxt day, ran 4 miles. Yea, I limped a bit, but nothing was going to stop me.

Honestly, I prefer the treadmill. It's easy on the knees and joints because it has some shock absorbsion. Running outside does not. I like to run outside too but there are way to many obsticles, cars, drunk drivers, stop lights, dogs, soft shoulders, rain, etc. With the treadmill, just sit it in front of a window or TV and go for it. What's nice is during inclement weather (including hot days), you can still do your run. I can remember when I lived in Texas, I could not handle 100 degree days and run outside. if Idid, I was lucky if I could go 20 minutes. With the treadmill, just sit in front of the AC and enjoy. I also found that the treadmill electronics add some "motivation". Seeing time/distance/calories burned, etc and comparing to how you did the day before is great for motivational inspiration. As well as an accurate heart rate monitor. Knowing when you are in or over zone is very important. The monitor also serves as motivation. I can recall when I could barely run 1.5 miles at 6.0mph, and my heart rate would be 165 during the entire run. Now, if I run at 6.0, I don't even get in zone at 140. Got to go 8.0 or more to get near max heart rate (upper zone) Running outside just doesn't have the motivation factors as a treadmill. And one really needs to keep up the motivation when they first start. Anything that helps them do that is a plus. keep a written record. I just use a calendar and write miles and time. Set the days you want to run, say M, W, F and stick to it. When you look at your calendar and see you missed a day, you feel guilty. Having the writen log does give motivation.

last word of advicew to the new runners. make sure you have the proper running shoe for your style. If not, your feet could end up hurting and you'll quit. Runner's world magazine always has good articles on correct selection of shous. Don't rely on the hype and inexperience of the local Foot Locker $7 an hour sales person. Get a shoe that fits your body weight and running profile. makes all the difference in the world.

Lastly, I forgot to mention that after about 3 weeks the weight began to fall like crazy. I actually had to cut down from running 7 days a week to 3-4, I was just geting to look too anorexic. :-)

R/Duke

o

Duke,
I should be so lucky as to have the pounds "fall off"!! But, I have now lost 10 pounds!!! Yes!!!! I agree with the part about running on the mill in front of the AC. I can relate to the 100+ days here in Texas, but so far the warmest evening I have run was about 94. We run in the shade and hit the water about every mile. The fact I have to go to the meeting place and run from there motivates me to keep going. I don't want the other runners to say, "ya, we knew the old fat lady would quit". Yes, I am the slowest one there, but hope to make it to the 5 mile mark soon.
This time I am doing this for me. The last failures were because I was doing it for someone else. Now, like Nicola, I am doing it to be healthier. And I realize if I don't get my fat butt off the couch, it isn't ever going to happen.
And whether we do it indoors on the treadmill, or outside, as long as you just do it!
Hang in there! Keep at it and it will get easier.
(am I on a soap box, too?) LOL
Later!
Anna

o

Wow! I'm so excited to see so many people posting here!

I've been having lots of pains in my knees. I'm thinking it may be my sneakers - very old according to running standards - and they're not "running" shoes either. Problem is I just can't afford $80 sneakers right now. What I've been doing is walking - very briskly, right to the point that any faster I would be jogging - and this seems to work fine for my knees. For some reason, the impact created when I jog really hurts my knees, but walking doesn't. Any suggestions anyone can give regaridng how to lessen the pain so I can start jogging again would be appreciated. Do you really think it's the shoes?

I've taken the last 3 days off from the treadmill - figured my knees could use it. I'm itching to get back on tonight though. Can't wait to get home and get jogging!

Oh! I got my 1st compliment today - a guy in my office building stopped me and asked if I was on a diet because I look like I'm losing weight! Yes!!! Finally somebody noticed! I've lost 6 lbs so far - another 5 to go to make me happy, 10 lbs more would make me estatic!

Happy Monday everyone. Hope your weekend was good.

o

Anna,

Keep it up the pounds will fall off. Whatever motivation works, at least you got it.

Nicole, You don't have to spend $80 for a good pair of running shoes. A lot of the outlet center shoe stores have some good deals. I usually buy mine at Foot Locker of all places. Don't go to the mall ones, they are overshoped. I found a great deal on some Mizumo running shoes. They sold on the internet for $119. I got them at Foot Locker for $39, and I bought a second pair for 1/2 that price. Foot locker has good sales when new stock (the new fancy models) come in. As far as the knees, there are a lot of treadmills that have good shock absorption. I have bad knees too. Tore ligaments playing hockey. The treadmill works well for me because you don't have to turn, you don't slip on rocks or loose soil, etc. Not to mention the shock absorbers. Yea the knees hurt a little but no as much as when I run outside. For you walking fast is good as long as your getting into your aerobic zone. If not, you'll have to step up the pace into a light jog. Sometimes it's easier to jog lightly than walk fast, because the body flows better. Congrats on the compliment. Keep up the excercise, whatever it is.

R/Duke

o

I started walking/jogging two weeks ago. I had done a LOT of walking last spring/summer/fall and this spring on concrete. Now I found a TRAIL that is covered with small rocks. I have discovered that I can jog a little..as I spent more time on the TRAIL I jogged a little more..
I was careful as I thought any jogging days were OVER, as concrete is just too hard on this 50 yr.old body that needs to lose about 30 lbs.
So now I walk/jog, walk/jog....each time a bit more. I am just thrilled. It took a few days when I first started to just walk for the lactic acid buildup to disipate, but it's gone now. I'm up to 3 miles - and it's hilly too!

I've lost almost 5 lbs. and am on my way to getting back in shape. It will take awhile, but it beats sitting on my duff and doing nothing. My legs and arms have always been strong as I'm an avid garden and turn my compost piles weekly,mow my lawn (1.3miles of walking), but still it's not enough.
I'm working out about 4-5 days a week, (while working 2 jobs so it CAN be done). Hopefully when the weight comes off, I can maintain at 3 sessions. But I know my cholesterol will drop as well as my BP so it's all a win-win situation. It's also helped decrease my appetite and the weight loss motivates me to continue to watch what I eat.
We've been having rainstorms after I get off work, but I have run in the rain (only when no lightning or thunder is around). My trail is very woodsy with tall trees, so even tho' it's hot, it's shaded and that helps.

Any ladies in decent shape that are 40/50 or more, if you walk and then jog...walk, then just jog 15 feet one day, then a little bit more and a little bit more...you'll be surprised how much you can improve your distance while jogging. I didn't think I'd have the leg power or the lung power, but I do, if I take it in small spurts. It keeps getting better every time I go out.

I have friends my age that have had surgeries, can't walk (or say they can't), eat bad carb's and are moaning that they are gaining weight and getting depressed. I don't want to be in that boat. So while I can, I'm gettin' out there and workin'. I don't want diabetes, high blood pressure, or osteoporosis, so I'm gonna continue this routine for the rest of my life! Part of my lifestyle! The aches and pains that I do get from running are well worth the effort. Muscle recovery in older folks is a bit slower, but I'm still gonna do my best.
I am slowy making it a part of my "world"... I'd like to be the lady on TV that swims and says, "My Dr. says I'm in better shape than he is!"

Keep up this great forum! It has inspired me!
June

o

Just wanted to report that I did get my run in on Saturday. I got up this morning and did 3 miles before work. I've realized that if I don't get up in the morning and do it, I won't right now. My schedule is hectic after work and it's so incredibly hot until about 8:30 p.m. My goal is to get back to running about 4 times a week. Right now I'm averaging 2-3, so I just need to work on my willpower! Thanks for keeping me motivated!

Erin

o

I am so happy to see all of you here and keeping each of us motivated! June, you are my inspiration!!! I just turned 47 yesterday and I think I am in better condition now than I ever was. I have lost another 2 pounds :):) Went running last night with the group and, as usual, was the last one coming up on the 1st water stop. As they started out again, going the wrong direction, I figured they were adding a bit more to the run. It wasn't until I got back to the starting point where I found out the trainer had said my group was to have left them at the water stop and come back the way we went. Well, 4.5 miles later I come dragging in. But I did manage to run 90% of it and only walked the last 3/4 mile or so. So I know I can do it!
I went out and popped for the $75 for a new pair of shoes. but I did find less expensive ones too. I have a VERY wide foot so trying to find the right width is hard. Hope these work better as I am getting blisters from the old ones. I have bad bunions and keep getting blisters on them.
Better cut off this book.
Thanks for all of the encouragement! Helps me keep at it.
Anna

o

Wow this thread is getting really long! I just need some advice from some other runners....

I've decided that if i run inside w/ the AC on it's more comfortable for me...but i seem to get extremely tired and sweaty even though i KNOW i can keep going. Is it a psychological thing? Also, i get a bit dizzy when i step off of the treadmill after running. Is that just from the sudden change of pace? Thanks!

o

Greta,

It's normal to get tired and feel like giving up or stopping. You have to push yourself. Set a time you want to run and do not stop until you reach that time. That's can be your motivation. Then, after you consistently meet your time without feeling too tired, increase your time in 1 minute intervals. When I first started running, I was lucky if I could stay going for 15 minutes. I slowly increased that over the years in 1 minute intervals, increasing my speed in intervals too.

Lastly, don't push yourself too much. If your getting too tired, slow down the treadmill rather than reduce your time.
You can always build up speed. A good rule of thumb is if you can't speak while exercising or have real labored speech, then your going too fast. A heart rate monitor is the best though, you can see when you reach your aerobic zone, and then just stay there (even if it's at the lower end of the zone) for the entire workout (minus warm up and cool down)

Good luck, keep it up.

Duke

o

Enjoyed all the motivation, I too an a new runner. I decided that it was the only way that I am ever going to get off these last 10 pounds of pregnancy weight and keep on with the healthy lifestyle. Problem... I don't love it. I know that it is working, but I have a really hard pushing myself to go further and further (I do 3 miles walk run 2x per week and try to do 5 on the weekends) But have found that I can really only run 8 consec. minutes. I am doing it outside in trails and such, so I do have the added benifit of hills. My thing is... I really need a goal (more than a weight goal) to push me. So I am going to try to run a 5K this year. Does anyone know of a good site that lists 5K races? I live in Georgia (just north of atlanta). I have searched 5K in ga but did not get any results.

o

Hello! Hello!

Greta,
I have the same feeling when stepping off the treadmill. Kind of like when you get off an escalator, huh. But I haven't been on it since I started with the running group.

This morning, one of the other 'beginners' and I did 6 miles!!! It took us 70 minutes to do it, so the pace was slow but WE DID IT!
I really feel this running club has kept me motivated.
Hang in there group!
Anna

o

Hi!

I am so glad I found this site! I decided I needed to start running again to get me off of a weight plateau Ive been on for 6 months. You guys are great inspiration.

I run on an outdoor track. Right now Im doing 30/30 (run 30 seconds/walk 30 seconds) and hope to increase the running soon. I work out with a weight trainer twice a week, so I have the strength, Im just waiting for the stamina to kick in! lol

My 2 cents on the treadmill vs. outdoor running. Ive watched people running on the treadmill and it seems to me they dont get as much movement with the rest of their body. Its mostly legs and arms moving, probably due to the self-propelling of the treadmill. Watching people run outdoors, they use their whole upper body to run. Their upper body twists as their arms pump to help the legs propel themselves forward. So, my unscientific theory is you use more muscle running outdoors, therefore burn more calories and get a better cardio workout. But, as a few of you have said, its far more convenient to run on a treadmill and as long as youre running....thats all that counts! Right?!?

Duke thanks for the advise on the shoes! Ive been having problems with my shins and didnt even consider it could be from my shoes (they are a bit old and worn). Im off to go buy another pair.

Keep up the good work everyone!

Samantha

o

Hey there -

I bought new shoes this weekend, and can't wait to try them out tonight! I only ran twice last week and then did some cross training and weights at the gym 1 day, but I'm ready to get back into my schedule this week. I REALLY NEED TO!

Spunky - the link I've posted is to the runnersworld.com website. If you go down the left side of all the links, there's one for race calendars. You can then input all sorts of info to narrow your search including state, city, distance, etc. There are also some programs for training for races.

Have a good week everyone!
Erin

Here is a link that might be useful: Runner's World

o

Okay... so I had a good run with my new shoes last night, but now I do have a few blisters. Any tips on getting them to heal faster? Will they just get worse if I continue to run with them?

Thanks!

o

I ran a lot from Nov. until about a 2 months ago and spring time came and people were having bar b ques & drinking! When I first started running I went from 123lbs. to 112lbs & I must say i looked great! I do weight train also. I had a healthy way of eating, but now with summertime here & all the food & drinks everyone wants to have, I find it hard to stay on a diet, but i do keep up the running. I find running on a treadmill is easier & it's not as hard on the knees as running outside. Lately I have been having problems with my ankles, so I haven't run in about a week & a half, but I'm going to see my doctor so hopefully I can start again. I love running on a treadmill and I don't recommend watching tv or listening to a cd player while running...a true runner doesn't need that stuff! Running does tone your legs very well, and if you keep up a healthy diet you will definately see a big improvement in your waistline in about a month!

o

Looks like our running thread is kinda pooping out!
We need to keep each other motivated! Where is everyone!
I am improving each time I run. On Sunday, another runner and I did 7.2 miles!!!! We run Tuesdays and Thursdays in the evening, but since it is sooo hot here now we can only do about 4-5 miles. But on Sunday, we run early so it is nice. I am thinking of entering a 5K. I think I could do well in it.
Later
Anna

o

Hello to all,
I am trying to get back into running after not doing it for almost 6 years. It's tough getting started again but I'm hoping come Fall it'll get easier as the weather gets cooler. Right now I am doing a walk/jog combo on a 5 mile trail at a park near by. It's been slow going but today was my best day yet. I used to be able to run this same trail in 45 minutes. Now it's taking me 60 min. so I have a goal to fulfill. Like Kelly, I've been having some problems with sore ankles but I did a stupid thing. One morning last week I dragged myself out of bed and got ready to go for my run. As I started to run my feet just felt so heavy and seemed to be hitting the ground very hard. When I was finally done and went back to my car I realized that I had put my cross trainer shoes on instead of my running shoes. I will make sure I never make that mistake again!

o

Hi All!
On sunday my running buddy and I did 9 miles! Slowly improving! This Saturday I am running a 10K, which should be ok. I'll let you know how I do!

How are you all doing? You need to let us know!
Later,
Anna

o

Hey guys, how's it going?? Anna, how was the 10k race in July?? The weather is cooling down and I'm back to my running again. I fell off for a few months but I'm back to it again. I also put on a little weight so my motivation for running is weight loss. I am really rusty so I'm starting all over with the walk/run combo. Today will be my fourth consecutive day and I can feel my endurance building up already. I will finish out this week running but next week I will alternate and add some weights to the routine. Hey guys check in and come on back!!

I will start a new thread called "Running" for the fall so we can keep each other encouraged.

Ohiogirl

o

Hi guys, saw this post and wondered how everyone was doing.

I've been jogging for about a month and my endurance has not improved much. I like to start out at around 3 to 3.5 mph (on the treadmill, of course! LOL) at a brisk walk to warm up and then up to about 5 mph. Lately I decided that was too fast and went back down to 4.5 mph. I have already increased my endurance by quarter mile, so I'm up to half mile without stopping. Beyond that it's tough. I usually rest and then get back on and try to do another half mile.

Anyway, I'm still getting leg cramps. How long should I stretch to really be beneficial? I never know. I feel like at this point that I should be doing better but don't know how. I don't know that I've lost any weight, either, and it's getting frustrating. I try to jog at least once a day, including light weights and playing squash.

Any suggestions?

o

I'm running the Honolulu Marathon this December. I have me a personal trainer, who is helping me train to run the entire thing and get a good time. That makes me very nervous. So far I've only been training at the gym on a treadmill. Well of course he has me lifting weights and doing other stuff as well, but basically I haven't ran outdoors yet. Ack... (Nerves..)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Exercise & Nutrition Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here