Return to the Exercise & Nutrition Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do digestive enzymes make you drowsy?

Posted by NancyB007 (My Page) on
Sun, May 9, 04 at 13:25

I'm taking digestive enzymes to help my poor digestion but they make me sooooooo drowsy that I can't even function for 4 hours afterwards. Is this normal? The dosage is 2 with each meal but even one knocks me over. Most M.D.'s say they are not even necessary because most digestion takes place after the food leaves the stomach. Health sites say they are necessary. Who to believe. I think I will only be able to take them at night when I'm hyper. THoughts?
Nancy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do digestive enzymes make you drowsy?

/what is in these "enzymes"

FYI - the MDs are right. The "health sites" are selling the things.

o

health sites that sell digestive enzymes say they're nessecary...

ones that don't never seem to mention them.

are you chewing your food, eating small portions, and not diluting your stomach acid with too much liquid during meals?

that's how we prep food for digestion. that's how we've done it for 20,000 years..and how animals with effecient digestive tracts do it.

not to mention there's one enzyme that breaks down protein, one that breaks down carbs...and they cancel one another out, so if you're taking enzymeS, that might be why you're sleepy- you're forcing things to work overtime.

what IS the ingredient list on these pills, anyway?

and what are you eating?

o

i did not check the part yesterday for others to send me email via the forms here. sry, but i found it today, and checked it, and would like to know where you bought the enzymes, what brand they were, and what enzymes were listed

o

Enzymes make some people sleep becaue they break down food and matter in the digestive tract so they cause toxin to enter you bloodstream thus making you sleepy or drowsy. These reaction may not last long and you can lessen the effects if you drink more water to help speed up the flushing of these toxis from your body. Never take enzymes on an empty stomach unless you plan on eating right afterward. Reason: enzymes break matter and food down if there is nothing in your body to break down then the enzymes may be too strong and cause you to feel sleepy, get a headache, or feel foggy. If you are new to enzymes you more than likely should start slow. Get your body use to this new digestive aid by taking just 1 capsule twice daily with meals or just before meals. After a few weeks go to 3 or 4 capsules daily 1 before 3 meals or 2 before 2 of your meals. Enzymes do speed up your metabolism and this is a good thing but may take some getting use to.

o

I've taken them in the past and noticed no drowsy effect. Right now I would take almost anything to make me drowsy. Two or three hours sleep at night is getting old.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Exercise & Nutrition Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here