Return to the Exercise & Nutrition Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can you overdo cardio workouts everyday?

Posted by Lucky (My Page) on
Wed, May 22, 02 at 4:20

I was wondering if there's such a thing as overdoing your cardio workouts each day. Well basically I hit the gym on an average of 9 times per week. I like to run an hour each time on the treadmill. Well basically my personal trainer is telling me that I'm doing too much cardio and that I'll be losing muscle instead of fat and just end up dehydrating myself. So he put me on a daily regimen of 45 minutes max a day of cardio. Can someone please explain this whole bit to me? I just don't understand. I mean isn't it always better to run that extra hour rather than sit at home and watch tv? I just don't understand...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can you overdo cardio workouts everyday?

Get yourself a book on how these things work. then maybe you will understand better. Yes, it is possible to use up more muscle tissue than you can rebuild if you do too much. then you are going to be in BIG trouble.

All of your body tissues, both fat, neural and muscle are constantly being broken down and rebuilt. I suspect with the amount of exercise that you do that you have little fat to use for energy. Therefore, you are breaking down muscle tissue to use. That's the way the body works.

Keep in mind that your most important muscle is your heart. It would be wise to listen to your trainer and give your muscles a proper lenght of time to recover. Watching TV will do this, more running won't.

o

My best routine was cardio one day, weight/strength training the alternate day.

What you will find is that strength training can bring your heart rate almost as high as a cardio.

But the strength training reaps many benefits for your body, not just the heart/lungs.

o

Lucky
check out this site for tons of info regarding fitness as well.
http://www.abcbodybuilding.com

This is one of the most informative sites on the net regarding weight training and cardio.

And yep, your trainer is right.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Exercise & Nutrition Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here