Return to the Exercise & Nutrition Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does anyone use dancing as a form of exercise?

Posted by sanantoniorose_z8b (My Page) on
Tue, May 18, 04 at 0:59

I rented 'Strictly Ballroom' and 'Shall We Dance'. I really do like the films, that I'll probably add them to my video library. Anyway, these movies gave me the idea of dancing as exercise.
So, how long do you think I would have to dance to equal 20 minutes on a nordic track ski machine slow to moderate pace? Something to break up the monotony (sp?).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does anyone use dancing as a form of exercise?

I do DDR which is a dancing Play Station game with a mat. Great excersise!

o

The trouble with DDR is the investment int he equipment.

I'd love to learn tap dancing. I cannot do anything that requires me to get on the floor---it takes too long to get back up. I Googled "tap dance DVD" and got a ton of hits, but I don't know which one is good.

I'd love to try the DDR, but I can't see buying that much equipment. At our ages (56), we don't have kids around, no playstations, no video games.

Any idea for dance videos/DVDs?

o

:) as an old deadhead... Summer Tour was the best shape I've ever been in, between the vegitarian cooking and 3 hours of dancing 4 nights a week !

and I can't dance, have three left feet and an inner ear tht's never sure which way's up...

but over the years, I've picked up a style that's taken bits of yoga, Tai Chi, Kung Fu, Kempo, and whatnot (never taken formal classes, but the guys are always trying to show me SOMETHING they just learned from their own teachers) and tribal dances, and it's the perfect break for me from biking, which is a very linear kind of meditation.

I don't need videos to dance...my TV isn't big enough to encourage working out in front of it, really...

but any live concert recording carry that same feel- and it doesn't matter what kind of music it is- I dance just as well to Porgy and Bess as I do to the Winterlands concert.

but- I do own one dance workout tape, have had it for 10 years, and love it. it's called 'world beat workout' and it's where I picked up what few formal 'tribal' steps I know from.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Exercise & Nutrition Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here