Return to the Exercise & Nutrition Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are there benefits for drinking V8?

Posted by Lucky (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 20, 02 at 22:32

I was just wondering if there are any benefits for drinking V8. You know, like a small can of it a day. (The 5.5 oz little can of theirs to be exact.) I heard from someone that it's good for your skin. I try to drink a lot of water each day and I've also cut my caffeine intake down from two cokes a day to two diet cokes a week. I also take at least one multi-vitamin a day. Do you think I also need to drink a V8 each day? It is expensive stuff and I don't really care for it. I just bought it since I've heard it's good for me.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are there benefits for drinking V8?

Hi Lucky,
I would say NO. Enjoy it on occassion. The reason I say this is because there is so much sodium in it. You are drinking the best thing, water. Why back step with the high sodium. For benefits of veggies, eat veggies. Fresh or frozen if possible. Stir fry, salads (dark green leaves)broccoli, etc. -

Whats good for your skin is that pure water you drink. It is the best for you.

Good for you for cutting back on sodas (diet or other wise.)That is one hard habit to control but you did it.

Ok, don't get me started on vitamins. Ok, you started it. A multi vitamin for the most part is not enough.
Depending on your gender, your age, your nutrition, then certain vits need to be taken. Most 1-a-days do not have enough in them to suport us. Waste of money and energy. It pays to get a really good one and that takes a little research.

Anyway, thats my $.02 cents!
Chantel:)

o

It's very high in sodium and carbs. I'd say get your 5 servings a day in other ways.

o

Regular V8 is high in sodium, but isn't there a low sodium version on the market? Still I don't think you NEED to drink a V8 everyday, especially since you said you don't like it.

o

The low sodium is not very good in my opinion. I make our own juice and use lemon to replace the salt. I have no recipe just what we like so it isn't the same everyday. I do like the V8 taste but the sodium can be a problem for some people.

o

You may find that adding celery may add the salty taste you want. I learned this from a diabetic. I place celery in my roast chicken and turkey for this reason.

o

At first I didn't like the low sodium V-8, but after drinking several small cans of it, I really have begun to like it. It is a good mid-morning snack for me at work. Maybe it's an acquired taste.

o

It's just jazzed-up tomato juice.

If a person were deifcient in Vitamin C, I can see it helping but it's not a magical elixir.

o

Your multi-vitamin one a days are most likely enough if you are a healthy adult who eats a balance diet. I am not sure where this comments owner:
" Ok, don't get me started on vitamins. Ok, you started it. A multi vitamin for the most part is not enough.
Depending on your gender, your age, your nutrition, then certain vits need to be taken. Most 1-a-days do not have enough in them to suport us. Waste of money and energy. It pays to get a really good one and that takes a little research." went to college... but they are a bit off base.
If you like V8 drink it... if not... get your vegetables traditionally... preferrably fresh if not then frozen... canned have lost the most nutrients.

o

In my opinion low sodium V8 only tastes bad if you're used to more sodium in your diet. I used to think it was bad too until I got serious about lowering the sodium in my diet and now I like it. I like it when I want something on the run or in a hurry.

o

Only if you add worchester sauce, a splash of tabasco, a celery stick, oh yeah a shot of vodka.....

Cheers

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Exercise & Nutrition Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here