Return to the Exercise & Nutrition Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which machine to use?

Posted by stephmc72 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 6, 02 at 21:38

I am looking for advice on which cardio machine will help take away some 'flab' on my thighs and butt area. I am 29 and not in the shape I used to be in. I don't currently exercise and my metabolism has slowed down alot and I'm looking to get into shape. I am petite for the most part, but do have a few inches I'd like to lose in those areas. I am familiar w/ the machines out there but don't know which one would be best for what I'm looking to achieve. In addition to cardio, do I need to do weight exercises at the same time to build up muscle tone in those areas or will cardio suffice for now? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which machine to use?

Well, you need to go and try the machines to see what fits your style. Elliptical machine(cross country type machine)treadmill, stationary bike, rower. I personally am researching the elliptical machine for both upper and lower body cardio workout. To lose fat, it is important to do cardio at least 3 times a week, on an empty stomach. And really to try and do it as intense as you can for 20 minutes or so. Weight training helps firm and strengthen and yes helps with fat loss. It speeds up metabolism.
And nope, don't do weight training same day as cardio. I suggest you do a lower body workout one day, cardio the next, upper body the next day, cardio, then lower (do this for 6 days a week). Rest 1 day say on a Sunday. Also, don't forget diet and nutrition. Try and consume 6 small meals of protien, complex carbs, healthy fats in each meal. Also, drink water. How much? Half your body weight is a good place to start.
Come over to the Diet thread and join us in the exercise threads and such. Its fun - its supportive.
If you have any questions, email me at captainswife30@hotmail.com!
Good luck
Chantel

o

Chantel

How do you drink half of your body weight? I mean I'm a 145 pounds. So I need to drink 75.5 pounds (?) of water a day? How do I measure something like that?

Those cross country machines...are those the ones that you pedal your feet on and the poles for your hands to hang onto move too? (The ones you're standing up using.) I always wondered what those machines were called. I like using those at the gym and I use them five times a week a half hour each time.

o

Hi Lucky
I measure my water by purchasing a 64 ounce plastic bottle of say "Arrowhead" water and I re-use the bottle over and over again.(I drink 2 of those a day.) Or I buy a sport water bottle that has 24 ounces and I fill it up 4 times. ( I drink a gallon a day.)

And yes, you should aim for 76 ounces a day.

Yes, those machines are called elliptical. Good for you for doing the 1/2 hour but I am wondering if you are doing any weight training? It helps speed up the metabolism and helps burn fat as well. If you over train on cardio, you lose muscle. Ask PT for clarification.

hth:)
Chantel

o

It's been stated over and over that walking is by far the most effective form of cardio excersize, and that the treadmill is the most effective machine. Walk walk walk!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Exercise & Nutrition Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here