Return to the Exercise & Nutrition Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Restless Leg Syndrome

Posted by chisue (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 5, 12 at 11:11

My DH is having increasing trouble with this. He had 'growing pains' in his legs as a teenager and as long as I've known him he's always wanted to be able to stretch out his legs at a ballgame or theater -- wants an aisle seat. Now, though, he is having such severe leg movement at night that it is disturbing his sleep -- and mine!

He had blood drawn yesteday with tests for any problems with iron, magnesium, B-12, folates.

Does anyone here treat RLS with vitamins?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Restless Leg Syndrome

I just developed RLS a couple years ago. I would love to know some information on it as well.

o

My mother had it and found this in a newspaper column and swore by it til the day she died.

Seriously.

Put a bar of soap at the foot of the bed between the bottom sheet and the mattress cover.

Don't remember where I read it, but unbeknownst to her, a woman's husband ran a bunch of experiments with her RLS by trying different things and see if she complained the next day. His result was that the bar of soap made a difference in how she felt...as I recall, he tried a block of wood the same size as the soap and it too helped.

Go figure.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bar of Soap

o

Hi! Sounds like we are in the same boat.
I'm wondering how your husbands blood tests came out?

o

See a neurologist. He needs a sleep study. That is done overnight at the hospital. That way they can identify the exact problem, and treat it precisely.

My father had it, and magnesium supplements took care of it. When I started having it too, magnesium helped, but not enough. My internist had me try Requip: worse than useless, and side effects.

I tried the bar of soap thing too. I imagined it helped a bit. I was told it needs to be a strong smelling soap. But no where near as effective as finding out the cause and treating that.

My neurologist knew from my sleep study exactly what I had, and prescribed Gabapentin. That is an antiseizure drug that also prevents the muscle twitching. It has been a godsend. It's a very safe and innocuous medication that has been around a long time. I take it at night, since it causes drowsiness. But that is to my benefit then. I am sleeping better than I have all my life: not like being drugged, just deep and refreshing natural sleep.

I just took an overseas plane trip: I could not believe how wonderful it was to just sit in my seat, and not feel I had to jiggle or get up to walk around constantly!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Exercise & Nutrition Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here