Return to the Exercise & Nutrition Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stationery bike or outdoor bicycle

Posted by jenn (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 11, 07 at 18:26

We want to add cycling to our routine and are considering purchasing a stationery bike for the house. We already have a treadmill so the bike would be for cross-training (a fancy word for "variety").

The advantage of a stationery bike is, of course, the convenience of being able to use it 24/7, rain or shine, day or night. However, the advantages of an outdoor bike include the outdoor/sunshine factor, and being able to take them wherever we go.

My husband already has a bicycle (which needs fixing and cleaning) but I don't. In the past, I owned a 12-speed and I just could not get the hang of changing the gears. I always jammed the gears and finally gave up (please tell me I am not the only one who did this!!), so I'm thinking of a simpler bike with only 3 gears and regular handle bars (not the racing bars) to just ride around the neighborhood or along the beach when we are on vacation -- no off-road riding or racing at all.

Can anyone make any recommendations for a type of bike for me, that will increase my chances of riding it often?

Jen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stationery bike or outdoor bicycle

Jenn, I am completely sold on both stationery bike and outside bike riding. I do spinning (in a club--I don't own a stationery bike) three times per week for aerobic exercise and have reaped numerous health benefits from it. I also ride outdoors, weather permitting, to get moderate exercise (around the neighborhood) or endurance work (long distance rides). So my recommendation to you is to get both! As to what kind of bike to recommend, there are many factors that come to play. I suggest you go to two or three sports/bike shops in your area, check out their stock, and have a salesperson fit you to the bike. Explain what your needs are and note different types of bikes (racing, touring, etc) so you have a sense of the different weights, tire width, handlebar configurations, etc. You can get very few gears but if you are serious about cycling, especially indoors, you'll build up strength and endurance quickly and may very well want to try a longer-distance ride, a trail, a hill, etc--and then you will want gears. It does take a bit of learning, but not a great deal. Newer bikes are much easier to shift than older versions. Anyway, by the time you visit several shops and compare, you'll probably have a very good sense of what to purchase.

o

I'd also recommend both, if you can swing the cost. The outdoor bike is great for when the weather is nice, and when you feel up to going outside. But the stationary bike is nice when you just want to plop down in front of the tv for half an hour and get some cycling in.

I'd vote a simpler bike, myself. I never do much changing of gears, either, and I always seem to jam them up when I do. The local Sports Chalet had some nice basic bikes that had only a few gears, normal handle bars, nice wide tires, and were quite inexpensive (i.e. less than $200) that seemed perfect for the kind of biking that my husband I are interested in doing. We've been talking about taking up outdoor biking as well...

o

stationary bike would be awesome for the lazy person like me who just wants to stay home.
but I'm thinking the other to be more beneficial because of the fresh air you get and the sunshine which is a must for your mental health as well.
i have depression and have read so much how outdoors and sunshine is so important.

o

Hi, lurker here. ;)
We just purchased a recumbent exercise bike and I LOVE it. I have a back injury and DH has knee problems. The recumbent allows us both the chance to exercise without as much body weight on our joints. You never know when an injury will happen so don't overlook the recumbent option.

Jes

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Exercise & Nutrition Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here