Return to the Exercise & Nutrition Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help getting the most from my elliptical

Posted by mollyjanea (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 6, 07 at 14:09

hello, well i did it...i bought a good used elliptical that the owner literally never stepped on. i thought she must be exaggerating and must have used it a little, at least, but when i went to check the machine out, i knew it was true. she was a riot and told the funniest story about all her research, putting it together and then looking at it EVERY DAY for a year before she knew she would "NEVER, EVER use the damn thing!" now i am curious if anyone knows of a site or other resourse for finding out how to begin and progress with this machine in order to use it safely and get the best workout. i realize i should start slowly, etc etc but is there more that i should know? the manual gave great set-up/technical info, but that's not what i need now. thanks, folks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help getting the most from my elliptical

I would aim for a 30 minute workout. Yes, start at a pace that you can do for 30 minutes. After that is easy raise the difficulty number. After that is easy continue to raise the number. Also you can raise the incline intermitently for a sprint of sorts. Just keep making it more difficult. 30 minutes is a great daily exercise. turn on the TV or radio. Good luck, salena

o

I'd start out going slow (speedwise), it's really easy to go fast at first... Then you wear yourself out and don't get anywhere! Then have to stop after a few minutes. Good Luck it's a great workout 30 min is good 45 even better for weight loss. Break it up if you need to!

o

I forgot to mention...starting out on the easiest setting also makes it too easy to go too fast. My sister accidentally hit the 6 and found it was the right pace for her to start and not go too fast, but to maintain an easy pace for 30-45 minutes.

o

All of this, of course, depends on your age and condition. Hopefully your elliptical includes a heart monitor. That will tell you better than anything we can say what you should be doing. Figure out your target heart rate and go from there. I have to go very, very slowly because I have a really rapid heart beat. I hit 130+ within two minutes of starting, but that's unusual and not likely to be your problem. I don't think I could do a 30 minute session either. I do circuit training now at the gym so I don't overstress one area of muscles.

My neighbor got an elliptical and uses it first thing in the morning before she showers for work. She is very strong and has been able to quickly advance in both speed and level of difficulty. Her only problem is that she finds herself slowing down when she gets really buried in her Sudoku puzzle

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Exercise & Nutrition Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here