Return to the Exercise & Nutrition Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Banana shakes okay?

Posted by azmodan (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 7, 07 at 5:50

I've been having a concoction of my own for a few years, without caring whether it did harm or good. I take a banana, mash it inside a mug with a fork so that it remains chunky, and mix in some milk and 2 teaspoons of sugar. I have this twice a day. Now, a friend told me that he had read somewhere that bananas and milk are fine, but when mixed together are not healthy "for guys". I don't know how true or false that is, so I was wondering if someone knew something about it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Banana shakes okay?

I would think that is a bunch of bunk!!! Hope you use 2% milk and Splenda.....
Salena

o

no, vitamin D milk and regular sugar. :\

o

well I can't have it, but I am diabetic. It sounds fine to me. You get potassium & calcium etc. That has to be good.

o

It's not healthy because adding the sugar cancels out any health benefits. There's plenty of natural sugars in the banana and the milk alone. By adding sugar you've made it into a high calorie, high carb dessert. You might as well sit down to a small dish of ice cream.

o

I agree with kimba00. And you are having all that sugar twice a day, definitely not good. Start by cutting the sugar in half, and I also hope you are not substituting the two shakes for meals. You can also use low-fat plain yogurt instead of the milk.

o

He said that a friend told him: bananas and milk are fine, but when mixed together are not healthy "for guys", then asked if it is true or not. He didn't ask if the addition of sugar is healthy.

I think that claim about bananas + milk for guys sounds ridiculous. Maybe that was true about one guy who had a big digestive problem and couldn't eat normally.

Tho' you didn't ask about the addition of sugar, I do agree with the others. It is totally unnecessary with the banana which is already sweet enough.

o

Thanks for all the info. Jenn, in the last post hit it on the head when she drilled down on the question. On a side note however, I will also cut down on the sugar... and no, I don't substitute it for meals.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Exercise & Nutrition Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here