Return to the Exercise & Nutrition Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Probably a silly question, but regarding weight training

Posted by housekeeping (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 21, 08 at 0:44

I was wondering about this today and thought someone here might be able to answer.....

I read that adding weight training is important for older people (late 50's) so I'm trying to figure out how to get some in. I live (and work) on farm so I'm not sure how much more I need to add as I am pretty constantly active all day, year round. Some of the jobs are quite physically demanding: cutting, splitting and hauling wood for instance; and then there's toting 40 or 50 lb bags of feed and pellets or shoveling in the barns or roofs. Well, you get the picture.

When I see people doing weight training they are lifting little dumbell-shaped weights. So do you think that the following activity might suffice for weight training? I am currently working on a multi-year project to limb up several acres of pole timber working with a 12' pole saw that weighs about 2 lbs and removing branches about 16-18 feet in air. I do it about an hour or so a day and will for another month or two. The work is basically raise the saw, pull down, repeatedly, to cut, then reposition and cut another branch. I am not folding my arms up and down from waist to shoulder level, but raising them from shoulder to full extension overhead. Does that count? I work at it quite steadily, and I can talk, but not sing while I do it.

TIA for your response.

Molly~

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Probably a silly question, but regarding weight training

I think you're covered Molly

o
RE: Probably a silly question, but regarding weight training

Molly hi,

I believe that there is a big difference between working and working out.

Even though you have strenous physical exercise daily, are you working all of your muscle groups correctly? Also, a good trainer will not only work all of your muscles, he/she will work on balance and make sure that you stretch properly.

This is a personal decision on your part. Good luck in making it.

Carol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Exercise & Nutrition Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here