Return to the Exercise & Nutrition Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Daily Exercise Journal - Everyone Welcome! - February

Posted by KathyG7777 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 17, 04 at 21:06

Okay girls, we'll start with this thread and hopefully pick up some new people to help inspire us! So anyone out there lurking, feel free to jump in no matter what type of exercise program you're working; we would love to hear from you!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Daily Exercise Journal - Everyone Welcome! - February

Thanks for starting the new post, Kathy! Sure hope we have some newbies join us and we can motivate each other while doing our own type of workout!

o

Well, I finally got in some serious exercising today. I worked out with steps and ab exercises.

I hope more will join our discussion too!

o

After healing from a herniated disk, I joined a sports center so I could swim. Less stress on the back that way. We get a discount thru work. It's $40 a month, but if I can get in water in the midst of winter, it's worth it! Well, I'd pay $500 for a treadmill and it would never get used, so at least I'm spending my money wisely!

They say to find what you love to do and make it part of you daily routine or a "habit" about 3 times a week...so I'm doing that. I've always LOVED water... I am trying to do a little more that 3 times a week...just to build up my stamina so eventually I will be able to swim for longer periods.

I LOVE to swim, swim laps, rest..play in water, swim more laps, play...they have a LAP Pool which is perfect as it is sectioned off with 4 lanes!

I work 2 jobs, so I capture my time in the water when I can. I will be swimming tonight.

I'm over 50 and I quit smoking last June, need to lose about 40 lbs, so I am building up my stamina and lung power. So far, I can go 9 laps before taking a break....I do 4, 6 and 8. Slowly build up to more laps.

I was sore all of last week when I started, as swimming laps is NOT easy and uses a lot of major muscles. But I have kept at it and I love it! It's a hell of a de-stresser too! I can't tell you how relaxed I am afterwards. I also play in the water and STRETCH and arch my back adn legs....a really good form of water pilati's!! They have a jacuzzi and I get in there and go "ahhh"...after my swims...

Keep on Kickin' ladies!

June Lynn

o

June, I've always heard that swimming was one of the best exercises you can do because it uses so many muscles. It sounds like you are getting a good workout and enjoying it too! I wish we had a fitness center nearby. The closest is 30 miles away and I don't want to drive that far several times a week after working all day.

Something else I do is try to incorporate exercise into the everyday things that I do. Example...I throw a load of clothes on the floor by the washer, and then pick them up 1 by 1 to put in the washer. Sometimes I'll pick them up by keeping my legs straight (like when you do toe touches), and other times I squat to pick them up, to use my leg muscles. I try to remember to do things like this with all my chores around the house. I don't worry about cutting down on my trips upstairs, intead I look forward to running up and down the stairs because I know I'm getting some good exercise that way.

o

Okay, I'll join...nothing like accountability, right? ;-)

June, so glad you love swimming. :-) I taught lessons and swam (non-competatively) for 10 yrs...it's great exercise.

Today I did my mini-morning workout (15 half pushups, 20 crunches, and skipped the 20 squats I normally do), and walked a lap around the stairs here at work on my break (I'm on the 4th floor...I take one stairwell up to the eighth floor, then across to the other stairwell, down to the first floor, across to the first one, then back up to my floor). Just started doing the stair-laps this week...had a "thing" with my boss, so taking breaks is a necessity now, might as well get something out of them. LOL

My second break will also be the stair lap, and then tonight is DF's and my night to hit the gym - treadmill for 20 min, then 3 sets of bench (we do that three times per week).

That's it for today! :-)

o

Hi everyone!
Welcome June and Jamie! So glad that you joined us.
MaryAnn, I am like you, I try to fit my household duties into exercise,also. When I go shopping, I always park at the very end of the lot, so I get exercise that way.
This morning, I did the 2 mile walk away the pounds, first time in two weeks. This evening I will try to fit in some stomach crunches.
I also am trying to get back on my diet, after two weeks of vacation and cheating with dessert after meals. I didn't gain any weight, though, thats good!
See ya later, Wanda

o

Welcome June & Jamie! Glad to see more people joining our little group!

Sounds like everyone is getting back on track. Last night I only made it through 20 mins of my Burn It Up tape (very intense workout; as the workout instructor says during the workout "It's called Burn It Up for a reason!" LOL). Tonight I did 30 mins of it plus the 10 min Ab workout tape.

o

I did my steps and ab exercises yesterday. I can really feel my abs! I had a hard time doing the exercises, but that's good, because I know I'm using those muscles!!

o

We didn't make it to the gym last night (took DF 2 hours to talk himself *out* of pizza for dinner...he's doing atkins), so we'll try it again tonight. This morning, did my mini-morning workout (20 pushups, 25 crunches, 20 squats), and did a stair-lap on my break. It's so nice outside, I think I'll walk around the block for my afternoon break...then the gym tonight. :-)

Have a great workout, ladies! :-)

o

Hello Girls! I didn't exercise today and I am leaving in the morning to go visit my dad. He is ill. I will be back Sunday, so I'll check in with you guys on Monday!
Have a great weekend.

o

I just started the treadmill a couple of days ago! Did 2 miles at 3.3 mph LOL! Well, I didn't want to overdo it. (Yeah.........that's it).

I am sure I'll be doing a lot more in the future and I am looking forward to it. Several years ago, I use to jog at the local Y and then we built our first real home, I stopped and never started back.

Hope it's a good exercise week for everyone!

o

Mini-morning workout...check.
Stairs on my morning break...check.

Still have another set of stairs to do on my afternoon break, and that's it for today! :-)

o

I'm not sure what you are doing, but I'll join. I haven't exercised like I used to and like I want to, and now I must get out in my garden. I need to do weights to maintain the strength for the gardening and try to do the Oxycize again. Have any of you done that?
Sammy

o

Just checking in; only did about 15 minutes of my Burn It Up workout. It's been a long week at work, so I'm hoping I will wake up refreshed tomorrow and ready to go!

Sammy - I tried Oxycise once; the only thing I remember is getting dizzy from the breathing technique...LOL

o

I haven't done the Oxycize in about 2 years. I have to fast foward through the woman's speech because it is so ridiculous and I don't believe a word of it. But once I start doing it, my posture improves dramatically, and I find myself pulling in my abs.
Sammy

o

It's been quiet around here! Where is everyone? I haven't exercised since last Wednesday, but I plan to today!!! Got to get more regular with the exercising!

Sammy, I've noticed that with just one or two days exercising, I am more aware of my body and my posture improves greatly because of it.

o

Well, I did my exercises today!

o

I worked in the garden all day yesterday. I have never been able to figure out how that calculates as exercise.
Sammy

o

I think if you go to fitday.com, they have a calculator for exercise like gardening, etc...I *think*. ;-) I know there's one out there...maybe do a search for "exercise calculator"? :-)

Last night DF and I went to the gym...20 min. on the treadmill, and 3 sets bench press, which felt good, and I'm sore today. LOL This morning did my mini-workout, and a lap around the stairwells on my break, so doing well! :-)

o

Hi everyone! MaryAnn, I am still here!
Ok, it was a pretty day today, so I went for a 2 mile walk down the country road. Gee, did that feel good and refreshing.
Planning on doing some stomach crunches, etc, this evening.

o

I'm still here too! Just been very busy; haven't done much exercise in the last couple of days. I weighed in this morning and was down a whopping .2 lb. LOL So basically nothing changed from last week. I have a bunch of things to get done tonight, so I doubt I'll get to exercise. Things should be better the rest of the week so I'll be back on schedule starting tomorrow.

o

Mini-morning workout this morning - check
Walk the stairs at 10am - no check...too busy

Will head to the gym again tonight though. :-)

o

Went to the mall today, does that count?

o

Sure does Wanda! LOL Think of all that walking and lifting of packages! :)

I forgot my son had a band concert tonight, so it's 8:15 p.m. and I just got home. I'm going to do my 10 min Abs tape, but that's all I'll fit in. Tomorrow he leaves for a ski trip with his dad so I'll have more time for working out for the next 5 days.

o

Gym last night - check
Mini-workout this morning - check
Stairs on break - check

Doing pretty well today! :-) One more stair workout on break, and I'm done for today!

I've lost 10 lbs as of last night since Jan. 1st...feeling pretty darn good about that. :-)

o

Jamie, congratulations on the weight loss. Thats great!
No exercise for me today, I am feeling so tired, had chinese for lunch,(I know, not diet food) and now I think I will go take a nap.
Tomorrow, I will be busy also, granddaughter bd, and we are going shopping, lunch and to the park. Maybe I will get a walk in.
Kathy, I knew that the mall would count, thanks! And I did have some heavy packages. 75% off clothes sale at Sears, and bought 3 heavy hardbacks at the bookstore.
Later, Wanda

o

Just checking in. Looks like everyone disappeared! LOL I have not done anything more than stretching the last couple of days. Hope everyone else is doing better than me. I haven't done too bad on this workout program, but not as good as I should. I decided to start over with Phase 1 tomorrow and combine it with a low/good carb diet plan.

o

I'm still here, but not doing much. Sorry! Dh is still off work, and its hard to get with the program when he is home. As soon as he's back to work, I think I will be able to get with the program.

o

I've been sitting here at the pc, drinking my coffee. Think I'll go do my exercises right now!

o

Hi Everyone!

I am more than happy to join in with ya's. I've been in a slump that has been going on for months now. I have always tried to exercise at least a couple of times a week, but I just haven't been able to get motivated on my own here lately. Reading all of your posts, I feel like I can tackle the world.

As I am so proud of myself for kicking the smoking habit (addiction) that I had for many years, I now find myself about 15 pounds overweight. Soooo, here I go! My favorite exercise is walking. I live in a very small town. One lap around all the streets is approximately one and a half miles. I am gonna try my best to do 3 laps every other day. So I'd appreciate everyone sending me lots of walking vibes!

I always look forward to reading these posts.

Pam in Indiana

o

Welcome to our little group Pam! Congrats on quitting smoking!!! I am also an ex-smoker (18 yrs!) and it took several attempts before I actually did it, so I know what an accomplishment that is.

It has been beautiful spring weather here in Chicago this weekend so I got the spring-cleaning bug and have been working my butt off, LOL (Hopefully literally!) Hope everyone had a great weekend. I will start a new thread tonight for March. (Can you believe it's here already??)

o

Hi Everyone! Welcome Pam, so glad that you joined us.
Just wanted to say that I am leaving tomorrow and will be out of town until Friday. Dh and I are going on a little get away to Tunica, Mississippi before he goes back to work.
So, I will see ya's in the March post when I get back. Wanda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Exercise & Nutrition Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here